chapter 3

Dagobah is humid and sticky; Anakin's least favorite kind of climate

Dagobah is humid and sticky; Anakin's least favorite kind of climate. He and Circe are climbing through murky water, their lightsabers hanging from their belts loosely. His tunic clings to his chest, damp with sweat and mist, as he pushes past reeds and foliage hanging down from the trees above. He's already irritable.

"Can we pick up the pace," He says, "I want to leave sooner rather than later."

"Crybaby," Circe teases. "You're the one lagging behind."

He scowls. "I hate this planet. What did I say to Obi-Wan the first time we came here? That I hate this planet. And what does he do? Send me back again for a mission he could easily complete himself."

"Obi-Wan has more important duties to work on than hunting out a droid base. Come on, Chosen One, if we hurry maybe we can make it back to Coruscant by morning," She chaffs, nodding towards the muddy path ahead and breaking into a jog.

There are signs of droid presence everywhere. Broken branches and scorch marks in the mud. The path they follow has been laid down by a troop walking in rows.

"At least a hundred," Circe says quietly, examining the ground under them.

"Not a problem," He answers, scanning the jungle for movement between the thick trees, "Don't fall behind."

He takes off, following the trail until it sweeps down into a misty ravine, clouds of fog floating inches above the ground and hiding whatever might be down there. In the back, a tall, grey building stands out of place with the rest of the boggy green area.

Circe comes to a stop behind him, pressing close despite the humidity.

She's tense and rippling with energy. It's the part that she hates most, the silence before the fight. He can feel her heart jumping.

"That's them," She says. "What's our plan?"

He shakes his head. "I'm not sure yet. It's hard to tell where their guns are."

"You take left and I'll go right, we'll meet up in the middle? The main guns have got to be just a few meters in front of the building. Two on either side."

"You don't think it's too predictable?" He asks.

She gives him a look. "It's a bunch of droids. How surprising can they be?"

"Okay," He answers. "Go right. I'll meet you down there. The fog will cover us so look for my light."

"See you on the other side," Circe smiles, turning away from the light of his blade.

She heads off in the opposite direction, skirting around the edge of slope to come down on the side.

"Always," Anakin mutters in reply as he runs left, staying low and avoiding the brush. The fog is so heavy, he can barely tell what's in front of him, but he descends the slope quietly, his feet splashing in the watery mud.