Chapter 27

Circe is seated out by the gardens when Obi-Wan passes by one morning

Circe is seated out by the gardens when Obi-Wan passes by one morning. The birds are chattering excitedly overhead, jumping from tree to tree in a flurry of wings. The day has not yet warmed, a cool clear breeze blows through the leaves and grasses, and the Jedi woman is bent over a book, her hair alight with a white glow.

"Circe, good morning," He says, coming to sit beside her. "Spending some time alone today?"

She lifts her head from the text in her lap. "Morning. I suppose so, I've no idea where Anakin is."

"That's strange. I rarely see you two apart by choice, and one of you is always complaining when the other isn't around."

A look passes over her face, a small storm across an open sea.

"That's how it usually is, but to be honest, I haven't seen much of Anakin for the past several days. He's always off somewhere doing some kind of errand—or so he tells me—and he returns late at night after dinner is already done being served."

"He hasn't told you where he's going?" Obi-Wan asks.

She shakes her head. "I didn't mind when I was out doing things, but now that I'm back I wish he would stop running off."

He sighs. "We can only hope he's not getting into any trouble. That boy is easily misguided."

"Misguided?" She frowns.

He throws a smile in her direction. "You wouldn't notice, being what misguides him most. He cares for you very much, Circe. He is less outspoken than you are, but he cares."

"I know," She says, turning back to her book, the frown still gracing her features. "I've known him all my life."

"Yes, so you would be the first to know if Anakin were being lead down a dark path."

Her eyes flick up towards him. "Yes. I would. It's a good thing he isn't."

Obi-Wan gives her a careful look. "Circe, you cannot let your devotion blind you. We have questions, is all. Anakin has been known to—"

"Master, stop." She says, growing impatient. "He has shown no signs of straying and yet you all tip-toe around him as though he is one mistake from falling to the Sith. Does this not remind you of another instance? Perhaps one where you were wrong, and I was right?"

He sighs, biting his tongue. Circe is blinded. Her love for him is a weakness she'll never accept. Their late arrival to the Order has bonded them and made Circe fiercely protective of Anakin, something he will have to grapple with if he's ever going to get her to see him from an unbiased point of view.

But he cannot bring himself to judge her for it. He cares for her as a father would and is soft to her beliefs. He would not be as critical as Master Windu, or as inquisitive as Master Yoda, he simply watches and hopes.

On the off chance that Anakin were to turn, Circe would be ruined. This, he knows.

"He would do anything for you," Obi-Wan says, staring out into the gardens.