oliver wood

after years of not thinking of her, he smells something oddly farmiliar
oliver x reader

"Alright, mum," Oliver sighed as he attempted to shove his mother out the door for the umpteenth time that evening. She'd stayed the weekend with him for whatever reason, because she missed him according to her, but he had early practice in the morning and he couldn't spend the rest of his night waiting for her to leave. And, of course, she was too stubborn to just disapparate because she heard one story of a friend of hers losing an ear.

"Oh! And remember to use that candle I bought, I know how much you like that scent and it's just been forever since I've found it in stores," she said as she shoved her foot in the door-frame to get that last word in. Oliver offered her a dry chuckle before he finally got her out.

He eyed the unburnt candle on the coffee table. Out of all the things for his mother to remember about him.

"C'mon, I think it smells lovely," you said, flicking on the handheld lighter and holding it up to the wick. The candle in your hand was about half full of wax at this point.

"But it's the only thing I can even smell now," Oliver groaned as he practically threw himself down onto the couch behind you. You set the whiskey scented candle back down onto the wood of the table before joining him, curling yourself into his side as he put some muggle show for the two of you to watch on the tele.

"Would it make you feel better if I told you it reminds me of you," you muttered softly into his thoroughly worn out Puddlemere United jumper. There was a small hole in the neck that you could see becoming a problem in the future so you made a mental note to put your sewing kit to it next time you stole it from him. You tucked your feet up underneath you as Oliver dragged his fingers delicately down your spine.

"You think my ego's that big, huh," he said with a smirk.

"Oh I know it is," you said. He scoffed lightly.

"Just be glad my ego can pay the rent," he said, not really thinking much of it until he felt you pull back from him slightly and shift so that you were sitting on the other end of the couch rather than pressed up against him, your knees facing into the arm of the couch.

"What is it now," he groaned.

"Don't be like that," you spat, pulling your feet away from him entirely so that no part of you was touching him. He tried to pull your feet back into his lap only for you to snatch them away abruptly with a roll of your eyes.

"Don't get pissy with me, doll," he said with an amused grin, the corners of his lips faltering slightly when he saw the expression on your face.

He was really in for it.

Oliver grabbed the white handheld lighter out of the kitchen drawer and brought it back to the living room. Just another thing you'd left at his place that he hadn't had the heart to throw out. His mum knew how you'd left things. She knew about the candle.

It took him a second longer than it should have to actually pick up the candle when he made his way back to the living room. It took him a few minutes longer than it should have to actually light it.

"Oliver, just drop it. I'm over it," you practically whimpered as you pulled back the comforter of your bed, ready to just sleep away the fight and wake up madly in love with each other again.

"No, I need you to know that I didn't mean what I said," he said as he slipped underneath the covers beside you, the light from your bedside lamp being the only light still in the room. "I was only joking, but that still isn't an excuse."