000

_________________________________________

Dark.

Just as the yokai liked it.

Cold.

Just as he did as well.

And quiet.

But, it wasn't just him-there was someone else there as well.

In the beautiful, old shrine which was hidden deep in the forests of Kyoto.

She too, loved the dark. Loved the cold. The quiet.

And he loved her-yes he did.

The man eating skeleton from japanese mythology. Born from rotting bodies on abandoned warzones.

The same one which rose from the ground at night and ate villagers as he pleased.

That's who I'm talking about.

He fell in love with a beautiful girl. Her hair was cut short and the color of a tropical sea.

Beautiful.

Her eyes were the color of dresses even king's couldn't afford. Purple.

It was her exotic appearance which made him fall for the girl. Even now-in the 20th century-not one person came close to her natural beauty.

It was almost unbelievable.

Because that was ten centuries ago.

When he met her on the cold, moonlit night.

"Are you going to eat me?"

Were her first words.

He was more terrified of her than she was of him. Because she stared into his hollowed eyes with no fear.

No traces of sadness or happiness were lost in her eyes. They were angry.

Her anger wasn't for him though. But, for her village.

Unlike these ages, women were used as tools when he had met her. Men took their frustrations out on women.

Often when a man didn't raise his hand against his wife-they were treated the same way.