Chapter 1

There lay Hammad in the torrential downpour, moments after the shock of Iman's death. In his hands, rest the pearls from Iman's shoes- a token of their love. Some time had gone by until townspeople of the rural surroundings began to enter the streets, seeing that the rain had calmed down. Upon seeing an unconscious Hammad, they propelled his body onto a carriage and rushed him to the nearest hospital.

Once conscious, Hammad contemplated his dwelling in the city that no longer needed him. Returning home was not an option as he had broken away from his affluent family in hopes of obtaining Iman's impoverished hand in marriage. Now, with the loss of the dream he was pursuing, Hammad saw no reason to dwell in the town that bolstered memories of his lost love. As he lay there in the cold, dark hospital bed, Hammad made an intention to use all of the money that he had allocated from his work on the railway station and take the next flight to America and begin a new chapter as soon as possible.

****

Back in the run-down house where Iman lay motionless, Iman's father, with tears streaming through his grey beard, raised his hands in an aching call to his creator:

"Ya Al-Muid, wo jo maqlooqat ko mot kai baad zinda kar nai wala hai, ya al-muhyi wo jo zindagi aur sehat de nai wala hai, mujhe meri aulad dai dai. Ya al-mumit, ay maut ku paida kar nai walay, meri aulad ki  jaga tu mujhko bulalay. Ya Allah, mere didar, mera Iman mujhe wapas kar day. Sayiddni ya rahman," he sobbed, shoving his hands into face as his fragile body quivered uncontrollably.

Just then, Haya, Iman's sister, burst into the compact room.

"Baba," she whispered as she touched his shoulder.

"Doctor sahaba aaye hain."  

"Molvi Sahab, fikar na kijiye, Allah par tawakkul rakye," consoled the doctor as Haya steadily walked her father out of the room and latched the door behind him. Quickly, the medical workers encircled Iman.

Molvi Sahab paced the drawing room, rapidly wriggling the tasbeeh in his sweaty palms.

After what seemed like hours, Haya charged through the door and latched onto her father in a warm embrace as tears trickled down their smiling faces.

"Woh zinda hai Baba!"  Haya proclaimed with a sigh of relief.

"Alhamdulillah," was the only and last word that managed to escape the withered  lips of the Moulvi Aleemuddin who's final prayers had been answered.