Chapter 22: Secrets

Josephine's POV

"I love you." He blurts out really fast, but I could still hear the words clear as day. He loves me, he finally said it. But why now? Why now when I'm finally happy and I have someone who loves me?

I stare at him and then I look down. I back away a few feet an dgrab my glass of water taking a small sip.

"Why now?" I ask and he lets out a deep breath.

"I didn't hear what you said." He says softly. "Why now?" I repeat louder this time.

"Because all of the other times I've said it to you, you never believed me." He says and takes another step forward.

"Do you blame me. I tell you how I feel, you tell me you have a girlfriend and then break my heart over and over again." I say and take a deep breath. Once I catch my breath, I continue.

"You even told me that you slept with me to get over you're girlfriend. That's what hurt the most." I say and he sighs.

"You weren't my rebound... I didn't use you to get over her. I was going to break up with her when we got back to the states after I realized what my feelings were for you." He says and walks closer until he's directly in front of me. I strain my neck to look up at him and he looks down at me, our eyes locking onto each other and never leaving.

"You said that it didn't concern me." I say quietly, never breaking our eye contact. I didn't think that he'd actually heard me until he said,

"I didn't mean that either. I was feeling horrible about hurting you and I felt llike I didn't deserve you because you are way to good for me. And I still believe that, but I wanted to make you hate me permanetly so that it would be easier for you so I was flirting with that girl." He answers quietly and before I can say anything, he beats me to it.

"Then you got jealous and left. We had that fight and that's when it came out. You said it did concern you because you loved me, and you walked away before I could say it back. And that night... that night I got drunk and ended up in her bed. I was so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing. So I left and I found you on the beach, just sitting there." He says, out of breath at the end. He's breathing really hard and I can feel his breath on my face.

"When I was walking with Sam... you showed up and told me you loved me." I say and look down at his lips. I really want to kiss his soft lips.

"It slipped out. I wasn't going to tell you because you are to good for me. Just because it only slipped out, doesn't mean I wasn't feeling it." He says quietly and he looks down at my lips.

"Is that so?" I whisper to him and he leans down closer to me.

"Oh it is so." He says smiling a little at me. I tilt my head up and bring our lips closer together. Our bottom lips touch and we're about to kiss but the front door flies open revealing Sam. I back away from Hero and run my hands over my face and into my hair. I walk over to him to see what he wants, before I reach him, I put on a smile. I'm kind of mad at him because he interrupted Hero and I but Sam is my boyfriend and Hero is just the person that's broken my heart time and time again.

****

Hero's POV

We're about to finally kiss but her door swings open and she looks over at the person in her door. It's Sam so she starts to back away from me. I was finally about to feel a touch of heaven until he interrupted us. Can I possibly hate this guy anymore than I already do?

Jo runs her hands over her face and then through her hair and starts walking towards him. I walk back to the kitchen and sit down, waiting for her to come back in here to finish what we started but I know that it's not going to happen.