twenty.

-   ͙۪۪̥˚┊❛ [CHAPTER TWENTY] ❜┊˚ ͙۪۪̥◌  ﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉

- ͙۪۪̥˚┊❛ [CHAPTER TWENTY] ❜┊˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉﹉

IN WHICH UNREQUITED
LOVE IS BEAUTIFULLY
DEADLY.

✦┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈✧

YEONJUN'S eyes flutter open. he remembers seeing jieun and jolts up, looking around him. he groans, furrowing his eyebrows afterwards when his neck feels sore and heavy. yeonjun brings a hand up and touches the back of his neck, his fingers coming into contact with a tree branch.

"what the hell..." he whispers, feeling along the branch. his touches something soft and plucks it off: there's a cherry blossom sitting on the palm of his hand.

he lets it fall from his hand and gets up, wandering around the field of dahlias. he eventually spots jieun sitting on the ground, and runs towards her.

"jieun," he says, panting. "are you okay?"

jieun keeps staring in front of her.

yeonjun gasps, reaching out to exam her neck. "the branch... it's gone!"

jieun lazily glances at yeonjun. "yours is, too."

"hm?" yeonjun touches the nape of his neck, surprised to see that the tree branch was no longer there. he then slowly takes a seat next to jieun, who keeps looking in front of her, emotionless.

"ji... are you—"

she lets out a breath, and looks down at her lap afterwards, grasping the white cloth of her dress tightly. "i'm not okay. this isn't okay." she stares angrily at the tears that fall onto her hands.

yeonjun starts patting jieun's back as she continues to sob, muttering something about a promise.

"i didn't k-keep my promise to them," she hiccups, still crying. "taehyun and beomgyu... oh my gosh, i'm so sorry... i'm sorry that i didn't come back...!"

yeonjun furrows his eyebrows. "you didn't go back?"

jieun ignores him, still talking to herself. "if only i hadn't been so damn stubborn about letting go of you," she says, chuckling. "this wouldn't have happened. i could have been leading a much better life as of right now... i would still be alive and be able to see them..."

alive... yeonjun's eyes widen when he finally pieces everything together. "oh jieun," he coos softly, still patting her back. "i'll beat the guy you like, don't worry... please stop crying..."

his hands are slightly shaking.

jieun starts laughing, confusing yeonjun. "i'm sorry," she says, turning her head to look at him. "but that was really funny."

"funny...?" yeonjun asks, blinking at the girl.

"yeonjun, we're both dead. i died because i loved you, and you died because you loved haein."