Chapter One - Unsuspecting Shit-show

When people think of family reunions, they don't expect having to survive through a weird, fucked-up zombie apocalypse where a single bite or scratch can turn you, and a mutant monstrosity out to kill your sister. I've only just turned sixteen -I should be going out with friends, having a boyfriend, doing normal things like normal teenagers instead of trying to stay alive!

But before I get too far in my ranting, let me rewind and start from the beginning; throwing you in the deep end is a shit-show -I should know, I'm there.

x-ResidentEvil-x

It all started on a seemingly normal day -what? I'm reading you my story, so be quiet and listen, it'll get interesting soon. Ahem, as I was saying -it all started on a seemingly normal day; sun bright, birds chirping, and me stuck in school listening to our history teacher drone on in that annoying voice of his.

No one really paid him any attention; most of the class turning in their seats to chat to their friends about plans for the upcoming weekend. Me? Well, I was drawing doodles of Chris Redfield on an empty page at the back of my notebook, hearts and all. Who could blame me, even with the nine-year age gap? Has anyone seen those arms? Not to mention he's a close friend of my sister's, so I get to see him up close and personal whenever I visit the police station to bug said sister.

"Hey, Lia, are you doing anything at the weekend for your birthday? Want to stay over, go shopping, watch movies?" My best friend, Zoe, threw her head back as she leaned back on two legs of her chair, her long golden hair spilling over my doodling. I looked up and met her bright blue eyes and excited sunny smile -she was someone who never had a bad mood, always cheerful and attracting everyone to her. I grinned and leaned my elbow on the edge of the desk, mindful of her long hair, and plopped my chin in my palm.

"Consider it a date, chick. I'll pen you in as very important in my diary, so my sister don't have me running stupid errands for her as she can't leave the apartment." Zoe giggled and sprung back up, turning fully so her back was facing the oblivious teacher.

"Aw, it can't be that bad, can it? That Chief Irons is a major jerk doing that to your sister; she was only doing her job, for Pete's sake!" Even angry, Zoe never once sounded hateful or harsh. I wish I had a few of her nice traits -I usually just get into trouble once my mouth starts running. Huh, maybe that's what got my sister into trouble most of the time, too...

"Ugh, don't remind me. Irons creeps me out -there was one time I went to the police station to bring lunch for my sis, and he just stared at me with this weird, creepy look in his eye. He's either a murderer or a rapist, I just know it!" Just the thought of the freaky Chief of Police had me grimacing and goosebumps prickling up my spine. I don't know how my sister stands being around him, much less work under him!

"Oh I hope not, could you imagine what he'd get away with in his position-"

"ALL STUDENTS ARE TO EVACUATE TO THE MAIN ENTRANCE IMMEDIATELY. THE SCHOOL IS NO LONGER SAFE -LEAVE ALL BELONGINGS BEHIND! I REPEAT, ALL STUDENTS ARE TO EVACUATE TO THE MAIN ENTRANCE IMMEDIATELY AS IT IS NO LONGER SAFE, AND TO LEAVE ALL BELONGINGS BEHIND. THIS IS SERIOUS AND NOT A DRILL!"

Everyone silenced at the principal's voice over the speakers, the clear panic reaching our ears. It took a moment for my class to register the words before they were all up and shoving each other to the door, some screaming as they fought to get past.

I looked back at Zoe, seeing her eyes wide with shock and fear, and I gently grabbed her hand. "Don't worry, I'm sure everything is fine and everyone is overreacting. And if it's not... I'll keep you safe, okay?" I see her swallow back her tears and nod, her lips quivering into a small smile as she grip my hand tightly.