Shame

When the sun rose, there was no golden orange sunrise like in New York. Instead, the sun's rays failed to pierce through a thick layer of white clouds, and morning came abruptly, as if someone had flicked on the world's light switch.

Billie's stomach, which Ethan had heard rumble numerous times during the night, finally roused her. The girl groaned, rubbing her eyes as she sat up. Ethan glanced up from Rowan, whose fingers had started twitching an hour ago – to make her stop, Ethan had put his hand in hers. Rowan was eager to keep it there.

"Gods, I'm so hungry." Billie muttered. She noticed Ethan watching her, and she looked at him through bleary eyes. "Do you want some breakfast?"

"Sure," Ethan replied lamely. "The others will be hungry too."

Billie nodded. She stretched, throwing her arms behind her back with splayed fingers. Then she took a deep breath.

"Wakey wakey!"

A few birds squawked overhead, frightened by the sound. Ethan winced at Billie's yelling, but it did the job, for Nico and Will both started at the noise.

Nico groaned, lying back down on his side to bury his face in his knees. "It's early, Billie. Way too early for loud noises."

Will grinned. He prodded Nico. "Come on, you have to eat something, or you'll actually turn into a ghost instead of just looking like one."

Rowan woke up less violently. Her eyelids fluttered opened to see Ethan watching her anxiously.

"How long was I out?" Her voice was stronger than yesterday, and she sounded more like her usual self.

"The whole night." He replied. Ethan helped her up so that she was sitting beside him. Rowan let go of his hand, and Ethan fought down his fleeting disappointment. "Did you dream?"

"Hey!" Billie shouted before Rowan could reply. "Will and I found a way to make pancakes!"

Will held the end of an arrow with a flaming tip. The flames licked the bottom of a small pan Billie had taken out from her backpack, a milky brown pancake sizzling on the hot metal.

"I swear I've seen this Bear Grylls episode before." Nico commented, sat cross-legged by Will.

"We're more resourceful than we look, Death Boy. All you can do is reanimate Halloween decorations."

"Alright; see how much good a pancake does you the next time we're under attack."

Rowan hopped off the bench. Ethan's arms shot out, ready to catch her in case she fell, but Rowan was walking as steady as ever. She sat down next to Billie, taking a pancake from the pan. Ethan let out a sigh of relief. Seeing her throw up and half-conscious had scared him more than he realized.

"Ethan."

"Hmm?" Ethan tore his gaze away from Rowan. Will was waving him over to the floor.

"Come eat."

Ethan got up from the bench and made his way to sit between Will and Rowan. "Thanks," He said, grabbing the pancake from the pan Will passed to him. It was warm and creamy, and Ethan hadn't noticed how hungry he had been – as a ghost, food was unnecessary.

"So," Billie said in between bites. "Where do we go next?"

"Hong Kong," Rowan answered immediately. "I need to make sure my family's alright."

"Why wouldn't they be?" Will asked. "I mean, they're probably worried about you, but other than that, why wouldn't they be okay?"

Rowan hesitated. She met Ethan's gaze.