ch 13

Sage was at my house again. We were done work for the day, and she didn't want to go home, so she came here. Jules was in one of those colorful baby seats that bounce and has a bunch of toys, but she was only staring at me. Ames and Sage found it hilarious that the infant tried to engage me in a staring contest, but I was uncomfortable and would not look at her.

"I'm telling you, just hold her, and she will stop," Ames said.

"I told you I'm not very comfortable with babies; she will move on eventually, right?" I asked.

"I can't believe you have lived in this house this long and never picked her up." Sage made her way over to Jules. "How can you resist her? She is so cute."

"She drools, poops, pees, and screams. What is the cute part?" I asked.

"Sage, she likes to be bounced on people's knees," Ames told her as she went through the movie options.

"Maybe it is a girl thing?" I asked. Both of them shoot daggers at me from their eyes.

"Humans as a species have fewer offspring but spend more energy raising them, so it becomes a biological drive for our species to care for our young. Since we are communal creatures, the young of others is also important, and both genders are included in the care. You are fighting against your biological drive to protect and care for babies by claiming that you don't like babies. Not necessarily a bad thing, but interesting, to say the least," Sage said.

"Sounds like Reed got in a fight with a Science concentration," Jeremy said, entering the room.

"I hadn't thought about that, but you are probably right. Sage would be a science concentration." I resisted the urge to cringe as Sage brought the baby near my face, and Jules giggled, enjoying the game.

"Science concentration?" Sage asked.

"When witches study at Mardovo's school of magic, they take a test every two years that Identifies their best subject, how they think, and how they use their magic. Then they are given lodging with their same magic type. If they need help, they are surrounded by people who do magic the same way." Jeremy said. "These groups are called concentration Science, math, history, English, arts, athletes, and miscellaneous. To name the rest."

"So, you take all your classes and live with these people?" Sage asked.

"Goddess, no, you sign up for classes like a normal school as long as you meet the education requirements for your concentration. Mardovo's encourages friendship and communication between the groups. The concentrations determine where you live and the education requirements for graduation, that is all."

"It also helps the teachers know how your magic works," I said.

"How does your magic work? Clarify that one for me. You said spells are all the same, so how can your magic work differently?" Sage passed baby Jules to Ames on the floor; she was kneeling on the ground. Sage turned to give us her undivided attention, her usual reaction to learning about magic since it fascinated her.

"All spells have the same rules, but where you pull your strength from is an individual thing, for instance," I said. "I'm an athlete witch..."

"Wait, you are an athlete?" Sage interrupted to laugh at me.

"He is a runner; can't you tell by how he expertly runs away from work, responsibility, and duty?" Jeremy quipped dryly.

"Hush." Ames smacked his legs from the floor.

"Anyway, before I was so rudely interrupted, I was saying I am an athlete. I pull magic from my personal reserves. In my concentration, we are taught to think of magic as an action, like how I explained magic as forcing what you want into reality."