80. Paris Wills, Age 16, October 18, 2019

I'm on the couch in the sitting room, picking up where I left off on Pride & Prejudice. It's the first time I've read for fun since this past weekend. Aside from Nessie's visit yesterday and another therapy session with Dr. Cole this morning, I've spent the past few days catching up on schoolwork. My teachers are allowing me to turn in all my assignments online, which is convenient. It's been tough covering all my courses, but I've finally completed all my late work from the time I was in the hospital. My goal is to finish out junior year with at least a B in every class. Well, a C in math wouldn't hurt.

Reading a romance novel reminds me of Gray, causing a bittersweet feeling to resonate in my chest. Every day it becomes harder to be apart, and a story about the escapades of love only makes me miss Gray more. That being said, it also reminds me that Gray and I will someday return to being neighbors. Only footsteps away from each other. He'll pick me up in his truck and we'll take moonlit walks along the beach or head to the movie theater and kiss halfway through the film. I look forward to those days, but I also look forward to getting better. At Neo, I feel like I'm beginning to heal.

If only Gray had enough time to come and visit me. He's overwhelmed by homework assignments and college applications. We chat over the phone, the only way I can reach him while at Neo. However, it's not the same as seeing him, touching him, kissing him.

Per Dr. Cole's advice, I'm trying very hard to believe that school is the only thing keeping him from visiting me. I have to trust that Gray isn't purposefully avoiding me. He wants to see me but doesn't have the time right now. Sabina and André have made it easier, distracting my negative thoughts by roping me into evening card games with Tiff or swapping childhood stories out in the garden. It certainly helps, and I need all the help I can get.

"Paris Wills," a nurse calls from over the intercom, "There's a Grayson Pierce on line three for you."

Eagerly, I perk up from the couch, leaving my book there.

"Go get your man!" Sabina shouts from the other side of the sitting room, where she's watching a movie with André. André whistles, and I roll my eyes at their silly teasing.

I make my way down the hall to the row of call booths. Booth three is open and I climb inside, sitting down on the bench. I unhook the phone from the wall and hear Gray's soothing voice on the other line. If only I could hear it in person.

"Hey babe! Whatcha up to?"

"Not much. Just imagining you here with me," I whisper, letting my voice take on a flirtatious airiness.

"Really?" Gray questions, his voice dipping into an enticing low, "What am I doing to you?"

I bite my lip as I consider what to say.

"You're sitting right beside me, with this goofy smile plastered on your face."

"Goofy?"

"Yes, goofy," I mock before continuing, "As I turn to the side, you plant a fluttering kiss on my lips, and I silently hope that the feeling of your mouth on mine will never disappear."

"Like this?"

Suddenly, I'm no longer speaking with Gray on the phone. Instead, I'm looking right at him. Sure enough, he has a goofy smile plastered on his face. Instantly, Gray scoops me up in his arms and I melt into his inviting torso. I can hear his heartbeat in my chest, as if our hearts are beating together. It's the first time he's held me in weeks, but it felt like a lifetime waiting to touch him again.

Gazing into me, Gray gently graces his lips against mine. He pulls back before I have a chance to sink into them. Irked by his taunting, I place my hand against Gray's neck and bring him down to me, pressing our lips together. In the midst of our playfulness, Gray and I tumble down, reclining on the bench. Gray's tongue edges my mouth, begging to be let inside. When I open up to him, the taste of mint mingles with my tongue. I scrunch his sweatshirt with my fingers, holding on as I drown in Gray's sweet kisses, never wanting to come up for air.