• Chapter One •

I shift on my feet, tail wagging uncontrollably as I wait for the room to stop.

I finally made it to the Exam site after a day or two of searching and completing some tests.

A loud bang sounds as the room halts.

Exhilarated, my eyes widen as the door opens to reveal fifty or so people staring at me.

My tail instantly ceases movement as everyone looks at me.

They don't seem very happy... the atmosphere is intense!

A green bean-looking man comes up to me. He smiles wide and hands me a badge with the number fifty inked on it.

"Thank you," I say automatically.

"This is your number. Please wear it on your chest at all times and be careful not to lose it," he informs me as I nod. "The Exam will not be starting for quite some time."

"Okie-dokie! Thanks, sir!" I grin as he walks away.

By now, everyone is minding their own business, so I look around the room again. I don't see Hanzo, but I do see a bunch of rough-looking men.

I readjust my backpack and start to walk towards the wall where I can rest.

My path is blocked by a smiling man in a blue vest, "Hi there! I'm Tonpa!"

"Hi, I'm Y/n!"

"This must be your first time, right?"

Returning his friendly grin, I nod, "What about you?"

"This is my thirty-fifth attempt."

You'd think he'd have passed by now.

"That's a lot!"

"I'm a Hunter Exam veteran," he boasts.

I frown, "Is that something to be proud of?"

His happy facade flickers at my blunt question.

"Anyways, you look thirsty, here."

He hands me a soda, his amicable expression back.

My eyes light up as I take the can, "Thank you!"

Cracking it open, I bring it to my mouth only to pause and stare at it. "Why's it funny?"

Tonpa visibly sweats, "What are you talking about?"

A low growl sounds in the back of my throat, drawing the other contestants attention. I sniff the drink again, now certain that it's been tampered with.

Eyes narrowed, I throw the can back to Tonpa.

"You're trying to poison me? And we've only just met," I say, disappointed. "You're not very nice, y'know."

"I don't know what you're talking about," he stammers, stepping back from me.

I chuckle lowly, balling my hands into fists, "And now you're lying."

He turns around, desperate to leave the situation. He regrets mistaking me for a chump, no doubt. I'll teach him that I'm not to be messed with.

I snatch the back of his shirt, dragging him back to me before turning him around. He cowers before me as others watch.

Bringing my fist back, I ignore his pitiful pleas, slamming my knuckles against his face. He flies back and lands in a heap on the ground.

I kick the long-forgotten soda can at him and walk away, my good mood now spoiled.

What a jerk. Poisoning someone for no reason.