[8] more than you know

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

THEY STOPPED THRICE MORE in the woods that day; a break, dinner, and another break. When they entered a town with the intention of staying the night, it was nearly dark, and the town was quite small, it was uncertain as to whether they'd have an inn or not.

"What will we do if there's nowhere to stay?" asked Stella quietly as they stepped onto the dirt road that marked the town's Main Street. There were houses lining the street, and shops disbursed about, but the likelihood of an inn being there was slim to none.

"We'll sleep under the stars," said Regulus, who sounded none-too pleased with this idea, and the girl almost laughed—he might have been reformed, but it was obvious he had been raised in a posh environment.

The pair took their chance and approached a woman on the street, asking if she knew of any inns around, and she told them that she occasionally rented out a room in her house, but it was small. Unable to refuse, for it was still far better than sleeping outside, they accepted, paid for the room, and followed her down the road to her house. It was a quaint thing in itself, but nice nevertheless, and the same went for the room. It was barely large enough to fit the furniture, which was nothing but a small desk, chest of drawers, and a twin bed, but it was well-kept, and quite cute, in Stella's opinion. Regulus, on the other hand, looked as if he had stepped into a foreign world.

"A bit below your standards?" she teased, setting her bag on the desk and rifling through it for her pajamas.

"A bit," he murmured, finally snapping himself out of it and sitting on the edge of the bed, where he withdrew the enchanted mirror from his pocket.

"Contacting Sirius?" asked Stella, who had her pajamas in her arm, ready to head to the bathroom, which was just down the hall. Regulus nodded, and as she exited the room, he whispered his brother's name just as he had been directed to. Sure enough, moments later, Sirius's face appeared.

"You two settled for the night?" asked the elder brother.

"We did. It's a bit...small, but it will do."

"Good. How's she doing?"

"All right, I suppose. It's a lot to handle, but she's doing well."

"And how are you doing?" Regulus shrugged, which only strengthened the look of concern on Sirius's face.

"The Dark Mark hurt again earlier, worse than ever. It's starting to concern me."

"As it should. I'd expect he's getting desperate."

"That's what my thoughts were."

"Be careful, all right? Can't have you dying on me so soon after redeeming yourself." A smirk rose on Sirius's lips, and Regulus chuckled quietly.

"Stay safe." Sirius gasped in an overdramatic nature, grasping his heart with his free hand.

"Did the Regulus Arcturus Black just tell me to stay safe?"

"Shut it," mumbled the younger brother, rolling his eyes.

"Contact me same time tomorrow, yeah?"