Chapter 2

"It's time for Animaniacs!" I tell Alexa to stop the alarm. Time for my morning routine. I take my shower and brush my teeth and hair. I take my book, How to Speak Dolphin, downstairs and eat breakfast. It's raining, so I can't do my morning walk. I start to freak out. I can't handle routine change! I decide to walk anyway.

It's time for school. I have been at this school for a week. But you don't want to hear about that, so I'll just skip that part. After school, I'm in the car going to a new counselor's office.
"What's the new therapist's name?" I ask Daddy.
"Her name's Chelsea and she's very excited to meet you," Daddy answers. He pulls into the parking lot.
"Why do I need a counselor again?" I ask for the millionth time. I unbuckle my seatbelt.
"To help you work through your problems," Daddy replies, also the millionth time. We get out of the car and start walking. I hear a bell in the distance and snowflakes dance in front of my eyes. I have synesthesia. Daddy swings the door open. We go inside. I walk into the waiting room while Daddy checks me in. There is a National Geographic magazine on the shelf. I skim it until it's time for my appointment.
"Maia," Daddy whispers. I look up and there is a young woman smiling at me.
"Hi, Maia! I'm your new therapist, Chelsea," She says.
"Hi," I reply shyly.
She leads me and Daddy to a room. I LOVE this room! There are fidget spinners and Rubic's cubes and liquid timers and even a sandbox! I grab one of the liquid timers and watch it.
"So, Maia," Chelsea says, "Tell me a little bit about yourself.
Here goes.
"My name is Princess Angelina Contessa Louisa Francesca Banana Fana Bo Besca III, but you can call me Maia. I am 12 years old. My favorite colors are cyan and peach. My favorite food is shave ice. My favorite subject in school is science. I have synesthesia and high-functioning autism. My obsessions are Animaniacs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, psychology, teaching, space, technology, and color by number. I also like to read."
"Ok, Maia," Chelsea says, writing this down. "So... anything else?"