Day One

The Mystic Falls Hospital had seen hectic days, but none were quite like this.

There was blood everywhere. On the doctor's hands, on the nurse's hands, and all over the patient in question.

There was an abundance of nurses in the room, covering every corner and making sure everything was as okay as it could be. There was even two doctors, because one wasn't enough in this situation.

The patient, a brunette woman, was squeezing a blonde nurse's hand so hard it was turning a funny shade of purple. The nurse didn't complain, instead reassuring the woman that everything would be okay, even though there was a high chance that it would in fact not end up okay.

Tears streamed down her face, wetting her cheeks, neck, and light blue hospital gown. The parts of the gown that weren't dark with water were stained and dark with her blood, and there wasn't much of the dull blue color that was visible anymore.

She babbled through her screaming, "It hurts! It hurts so much!"

"Don't speak," the nurse attempted to calm the brunette. "It won't help, only hurt more. Focus, you're doing so well."

And that she was. The gruesome scene the medical workers were witnessing was like something out of a TV hospital drama comparing it to how intense and bad it was. Anyone else probably would've died by now. The fact that she hadn't yet was promising, but they couldn't let their guard down for a moment. Not in a situation like this one. All the souls in the room and even some outside who could hear the commotion were praying she would live through it.

The blonde at woman's side watched their coworkers rush around, picking things up and dropping them again, reading all the labels quickly. "Almost done. Come on." They told her calmly. She responded with a scream.

"She's losing too much blood! Somebody get a blood bag and an IV! NOW!" Called another nurse.

"What type?!?" Screeched another in a panic.

"AB!" Came the response, and no one knew or cared from where, as long as they were right.

"We're out! That thief really likes their AB!"

Panic washed over the nurse losing their circulation along with everyone else in the room. It was only a matter of time before the missing blood bags became a problem, and that time was now.

More tears, if that was possible, fell from the woman's brown eyes. "I- I- I-" she stammered and choked. "I can't anymore," she cried.

The adrenaline in the nurse spiked. "Try! TRY! You have to!" They cried back, feeling her grip on their wrist loosen.

"Get her on life support! And prepare the defibrillators!" The second doctor barked out orders for the nurses.

"Come on! Come on! You've been so strong so far!" The nurse at her side was rambling, desperate, beginning to feel tears fall on their own cheeks.

The woman choked on her own painful sobs. She could hardly hear the people's voices around her, drowning in her own agony. However she knew that whatever they were saying wasn't anything good. That, and all the torment she was enduring in the moment made her realize she wasn't going to make it out of this hospital room alive.

But she couldn't die. Not yet. "T- tell D- D..." she stuttered through her tears. She was struggling so much to get the words out that it was unclear the the blonde nurse what she was saying. "N- n- th- that..."

"Please, don't strain yourself! Breathe!" The nurse pleaded with the girl.

"I... I lo- love him," she sobbed.

"No! No! You're going to tell him yourself." Their voice dropped to a whisper after they felt her grip drop completely. "Come on."

They looked into her eyes, blocking everything else out, hearing nothing but the sound of the heart monitor dropping. "No, no, no..."

"No," they muttered one last time before the line went dead and all the havoc in the room stopped instantly.

Only the distant cries of a newborn child in the maternity department were heard above the dull sound of the heart monitor.

All the nurses and doctors bowed their heads, respectively and respectfully mourning the loss of the young woman.

"Doc?" Asked a nurse watching the monitor pitifully. The doctor shook their head.

More silence. The blonde draped the white sheet on the bed over her body, as was the protocol.

"What was her name?"

•••