3: SIXTEEN

SIXTEEN

▪︎

▪︎

The raven-haired girl pressed her ear against the door, trying to figure out whether it was safe to leave the cramped room. She had no idea how long she had spent in that tiny storage closet, possibly a whole day, but seeing as that steel door was her only defence against getting chipped, she would gladly stay there for as long as she needed. 

The thunderous banging against the door had ceased hours ago, but Aura had no idea whether it was a ploy to make her feel safe so she could be lured out, or whether ALIE had truly given up in trying to chip her.

“Come on Aurelia. It’s fine. ALIE is far far away.” the girl muttered to herself as she placed her hand on the metal pole which wedged the door shut. “Probably.” She took a deep breath before pulling at the pole, wincing as it clattered against the metal of the door. She went still as she listened out for any movement on the other side of the door, then continued her movements when she knew she was in the clear. 

The second she opened the door a crack, she froze, her ears picking up the sound of footsteps going down the hallway. From her position she couldn’t see anyone right on the other side of her door, so she concluded it wasn’t ALIE trying to target her, and judging by the otherwise silent ark, she concluded this person probably wasn’t a chipped psycho either.

She widened her eyes in shock as she watched a grounder stroll past her door, an unconscious Jasper hanging over their shoulder. “Seriously?” she muttered, “We can’t catch a damn break.” 

She made sure to stay out of sight as she slipped out of the room and followed after the two, occasionally stopping to press against the wall like some kind secret agent on a mission. 

Eventually she reached the airlock, and realised the grounder had already tied up several of her friends who were still unconscious. Before she could figure who was missing from the group, the grounder started to turn towards her, causing her to dodge out of sight before starting to rush away, her feet light as she hurried down the hallway. 

“A bow would be great about now,” she muttered as she rushed towards the weapons room several doors down. “Or a gun.” She almost let out a scream as she entered the room, finding Sinclair sprawled out on the floor, his skin a deathly pale. 

Aura prayed as she inched towards him, hoping that he was just unconscious, but the pool of blood laying around his body wasn’t too convincing. She crouched down as her hand reached towards his wrist, and realised with a heavy heart that there was no pulse. 

“I’m so sorry Sinclair.” she murmured softly, “May we meet again.” She wiped away a stray tear as she stood up and moved towards the weapons boxes, more determined than ever to kill the stranger who was going after her friends.