Quidditch practice

I look out the window and see the sunsetting on the Horizon. I take this as a sign to put my school robe on. I lower my trunk and take out my blue and black robes. As I sat back down in my seat I hear a knock on the compartment door. " come in".  I hear the door slide open and look to see who it was. I get a glimpse of red hair and I already know who it is.
Lily Dyer, my Best friend since 1st year.

We catch-up and talk about our summer. " me and my parents got to go to Paris it was wonderful there. You should really consider going some time". Lily's summer was much more exiting than mine. I mostly just stayed at home, maby went out in the garden every once and awhile. But what consumed most of my summer was the waiting for my OWL results.
" maybe we should go some time, I've always wanted to visit Paris".

. . .

The train started to slow and me and lily grabbed our trunks. After setting our bags outside the train we went over to the carriages. As we wait for our carriage to fill up a girl named Cho Chang sits next to me. I've seen her a few times before but haven't talked much. She's in the year below me, all the kids in her year are either really annoying or really emotional and sensitive. Last year I walked by one of them and waved and they started to cry.

Entering the castle we head to the dining hall and walk over to the Ravenclaw table. After a few minutes the 1st years enter and the sorting begins. As usual only a few kids get sorted into Ravenclaw. That's one of the many things I love about being in Ravenclaw, it's never over crowded. Sometimes they only put 2 people in a dorm. While Dumbledore does his usual announcements for the year he also brings up a deadly tournament that will be happening this year. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will also be in the tournament. Exactly what we need this year, another way for students to die.

Before coming to Hogwarts everyone had told me story's about how wonderful it was and how much I will learn, and meet friends. The first 2 years were like that until Harry Potter came along. Students were in danger left and right, even a killer threatened the school last year and the year before that the chamber of secrets opened back up and kids were in shock that they couldn't move. Due to all the chaos, I became more quiet and got more focused in my learning to try and not get involved in the madness.

But this year I wanted to do something different and try something I've wanted to do for awhile. Quidditch. I've always wanted to play quidditch and I even played a bit at home with my parents but never at school. I told my self it was because I was to caught up in my study's but in reality it was because I didn't want to embarrass myself at try outs.

" Even with the tournament going on this year, quidditch and other clubs will proceed this year. If you have any more questions make sure to ask your head of house" Dumbledore announced. I look back at the table and realize the feast has appeared. It's always the best and biggest meals of the year. Foods ranging from green beans to lamb.

After dinner me and lily leave dinner early to claim a good dorm for the year. Last year I waited till the feast was over and ended up with  3 first years. When we arrive at the common room we take in the beauty of the place. The big windows and fireplace bring back many memory's

"Lyra we got a bit of a problem" lily said running over. She waved over to follow her and I did. She took me to one of the windows in the common room. Odd. "What happened"? "I uh.." lily said pointing to a history of manic book laying on the ground in a mud puddle.
" Lily! What is your history of magic book doing in a puddle out side looking like it had just was in a hurricane"!

Without meeting my eyes lily says " some older kids were practicing weather charms and I was reading next to the window. It's such a nice day and I just couldn't resist and well. I saw someone's rat at my foot and threw my book out the window. You guess what happens from then on".

Those were the good days. No worry's about tests or grades. Not a worry in sight. I made my way up to a dorm and saw my trunk already there next to the bed. Glancing over to see Lily's things at the other bed to I smile relieved to see Lily's things already there.

. . .

The next morning I put on my uniform, grabbed my books and made my way down to the common room. I glance over to the notice board and see roger placing the quidditch practice times up. " thinking about trying out Hathaway"? " yeah I was planning on trying out for beater. Haven't had much practice though". " well hope to see you at tryouts. And good luck". Why was he wishing me good luck. He is the one who makes the decisions about who is on the team!

When I get to the notice board I look for the quidditch tryouts.
This Friday quidditch tryouts after dinner.
I have to wait all week for quidditch tryouts? This is going to be one long week.

After an exhausting weeks of anxiously waiting for tryouts Friday finally came. I made my way down to the quidditch field with lily. I made her come with me just in case something embarrassing did happen I would have someone to comfort me.

Looking to see my competition I notice not many people showed up. The Ravenclaw team isn't the most known and most people in my house are usually to busy studying or with friends like I had been in the past. At tryouts it's only me, the team from last year and 2 second year girls. I hear panting from behind me and I look to see who it is. Cho. "Sorry I'm late everyone, got caught up with Cedric." The two sending year girls started to giggle and roger gave them a stern look. " okay everyone, I will be going in categories. First up are the people who will my trying out for the beater position." Nervously I step forward and so do the two second years. We grab the bats and push of the ground. " I will release the bludger and you 3 will take turns hitting it through the hoops to see how your aim is. Alexis you go first, Olivia second and Lyra you can go last."

The first girl goes and ends up hitting the bludger at the stands destroying one. But the next girl wasn't bad. She only missed the hoops by a foot or so. My turn had finally come. As roger released the bludger I tighten my grip on the bat and kept a close eye on the ball. I see it get dangerously close and I take that as my signal to swing the bat. At first it doesn't seem that it will go in and I loose my confidence. I look down at the grind disappointed. I can't bring myself to look up until I hear Lily's screaming and clapping. " YAY LYRA! YOU MADE IT IN, YOU MADE THE TEAM!" " not necessarily Hathaway but let's just say I'll keep in touch."