14| "UNCOMFORTABLY NUMB"

fourteen uncomfortably numb

🦋

'LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,' Charlotte muttered in a solemn announcer's voice, 'we are gathered here today to mourn the transmogrification of Scabbers, a good rat, into Peter Pettigrew, the scum of the earth.'

    Unfortunately, Charlotte's witty comment went unheard amidst the chaos that had unfolded.

    'You're all mental!'

    'Ridiculous!'

    'Pettigrew's dead!'

    'Sirius, NO —!'

    '— they need to understand —'

    'WAIT!'

    'You're nutters, all of you!'

    'SIRIUS!'

    '[Y/N]!'

    'HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!'

'But Professor Lupin ...' Hermione's usually reasonable voice cut in over the noise. 'Scabbers can't be Pettigrew ... it just can't be true, you know it can't ...'

'Why can't it be true?' [y/n] and Sirius snapped simultaneously.

Remus raised a hand towards them, immediately silencing them.

'Why can't it be true?' he asked Hermione calmly, as though they were in class, and Hermione had simply spotted a problem in an experiment with Grindylows.

'Because ... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework — the Ministry keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things ... and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have only been seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list —'