25. Hexes and Fists

I wake slowly, the bright light of midday filling George's room entirely. He lays next to me, still asleep. Lee's bed is empty. I shift, trying to sit up without waking George. He takes a sharp breath as I move but doesn't open his eyes. His arms contract to bring me closer to him, not allowing me to escape.

My mind flashes back to last night. How I had refused his advance then left in the middle of the night. How he accused me of going to see Adrian, and how I felt when I saw he didn't trust me. I push George's arms off of me, getting out of the bed as he wakes.

"What's wrong, dear?" He asks, half asleep.

"It's already past noon. I need to go to my room, get changed." I say without looking at him. My hurt feelings continue to ache like a day-old bruise.

"Hold on a minute," he sits up, "If we're not going to class you can wear this." He leans over his bed, digging in his dresser. He pulls out a knitted sweater, holding it out to me. I waver.

I decide to reach out and grab the sweater, but George snatches my wrist and pulls me on top of him. He holds me closely and smothers me with kisses, laughing as I struggle to get out of his grip.

"Let go, would you?" I snap, the annoyance clear in my voice.

"Mason, what is going on?" the concern is clear, and I huff as I walk to the other end of the room. He follows me as I walk down the stairs, reaching for me although every time I shrug him off. Was I overreacting? I was still upset at George for his lack of trust, but he had honestly apologized.

At last I reach the girl's staircase. I quickly bound up the stairs, George trailing behind me. I can hear his gasp as the stairs turn into a slide underneath him, not allowing him to enter my dormitory.

I shower and dress in casual clothes; tan pants, boots, and a simple black sweater. I quickly dry my hair, hastily applying makeup and grabbing my coat. As I move to step out of the room, I am greeted by Katie Bell.

"Oh, there you are! I was looking for you last night, but you never arrived..." She trails off, her judgment clear in her tone. "You still have my hippogriff quill." She grabs her bookbag from beside her bed and leaves the room.

"Nice to see you too, Katie" I mumble under my breath. I begin to doubt today will be a good day.

I grab a few of my textbooks and begin to descend the staircase to the common room. The moment I step off of the staircase, I am lifted from the ground and brought over to the fireplace.

"Let go of me, you bloody idiot!" I yell, struggling against the strong arms that hold me in place. I am thrown onto the couch, my books falling to the floor. George stands over me, anger clear in his face.

"Why are you upset with me? What have I done now?"

"Other than accuse me of seeing Adrian when I was with your hurt brother? When I had sworn to you that I was with him and Lee? Nothing!" I push him away from me. He had a reason to not completely trust me, especially with the stunts Adrian had pulled the day of the game. "Can you let me get my books?" I ask, as he is standing right in front of them.

He steps to the side silently, picking up my books before I have the chance to. I take them from his hands without a word.

"Please listen to me, I was just upset that you had left. Lee had told me that Adrian tried to comfort you when you were waiting to see if Fred was alright. I just get so... upset inside thinking he might get to you, he might steal you away." I look up to catch his gaze.

"I'm going to study by the Black Lake. If you want to join me, bring your books." I say quietly. I bring my books closer to my chest, trying to hide my guilt. Adrian was still heavy on my mind, George's worst fear was closer to a reality than he knew. He nods and leans closer to me slowly, kissing me on my cheek before departing and flying up the stairs as quick as he can.