Chapter V

Thranduil's pov

My heart almost seemed to fall to the floor as I stare at Tauriel. She didn't look much different, besides how trashed her clothes were and her messed up hair flying everywhere. Her eyes watched me with confusion.

"I was banished?" She asks, her voice trying to crack.

I nod. "It was about thirty years ago to be exact."

"But why?" She asks.

I hesitate. "You disobeyed me, and drew your sword at me. You claimed your actions were caused by your love for a dwarf."

Tauriel remains silent, confused by the new development.

"Not only that..." I continue. "Your actions caused my son to leave his duty as prince."

"Your son?" She asks, making my heart shudder.

"My son Legolas. He no longer visits here, and I honestly haven't seen him as long as I haven't seen you."

Tauriel's mouth hangs open. "Why would he leave?"

I choose not to say anything, instead I nod. From there she got it, her face showing guilt.

"He loved me, didn't he?"

I nod.

Tauriel's face resembled her sorrow when I recall that awful day. Chandria had nothing to do but watched us, absorbing all of the information she could.

"I swear I would never pull my sword against any elf, especially you. I have only killed orcs." Tauriel says in defense.

"Only during the time you can remember." Tauriel grows silent again. "You chose to leave Mirkwood during a lockdown to chase after a dwarf you loved. That also doesn't help your situation."

"I wouldn't do that? I don't know any dwarfs."

"You did it out of love denied here in Mirkwood." I reply back, only receiving her confused gaze.

"Was it the events with the dwarf that made you banish me?" She pauses, realizing something. "No it wasn't that."

I nod my head. "That is right. It was your action of drawing you sword against me that led to your banishment. My son supported you, and he decided he had no place in Mirkwood."

"But wasn't that your choice, with you being his king."

"Being king doesn't do it complete justice." I retort. "I never asked for the laws that have been placed here for thousands of years."

Tauriel is stunned with shock. I was standing at this point, and we found our way to the side of the hall. I turn towards her, and am only able to see tears running down her cheeks.

"I can't remember any of it. You explain it to me yet, I can't even picture it." She almost whimpers.

I sigh. My heart wanted to jump out of my chest and flee away with the wind. I knew in my mind that I couldn't judge her on what she was because clearly she wasn't that girl any more.

"In your first memory, where were you? I ask her.

"I remember being along a river bank after a couple orcs attacked me. I killed them with my bow even though I can't remember when I learned to use it." She sniffles.

"I actually taught you." She looks at me in awe. "I also taught my son at the same time."

She doesn't say anything. I could tell she was trying to piece together the remaining evidence to try to imagine that memory.

I nod my head. "My son cared for you."

Tauriel is taken back a little. "Even after all of that?"

I look over to the nearby window, showing the city, which was streaming with elves.

"My son wanted the best for you. He wanted your safety as well as your happiness." I look back to Tauriel. "I haven't seen him for years, but I know he would want you to stay here. I can't do anything but accept his one wish for your safety. So Tauriel, I no longer claim you as banished."

Tauriel is taken back a little. It took her a few second to comprehend what I just said, but when she did she ran up and embraced me. I jump back a little in surprise. I couldn't understand her sudden affection.

Something compelled me hug her back, which was something I typically didn't do. However it overcame me and I held her tight. She reminded me of Legolas, whom I missed deeply, and at that moment...

I felt love again.