Prologue

PROLOGUE

[One year ago]

***

Her heart twisted and sunk with nerves as she sat on the passenger seat of her sister's car. The light of the morning sun enveloped her, but it did not warm her up. She was feeling cold, her icy hands were shaking, and her breath came in sharp breaths. She tried to regain control over her own body, but as her eyes landed on the tall, imposing building of West Valley High School, her anxiety resurfaced almost immediately.

"This is not gonna work," she blurted out, almost choking on her own words.

"It will."

"It won't!" The young girl's head snapped in her older sister's direction, her frustration made her voice sound an octave higher than usual. "We both know that I was never good at meeting new people, let alone make friends with them! I'm gonna screw everything up..."

Kimberly Gao had every right to be upset. Her life has been turned upside down because only a few months ago, an opportunity came knocking on their door. An opportunity her parents couldn't possibly refuse. They've been both sought out by one of the biggest car dealership chains around Los Angeles, LaRusso Auto Group. The owner, Daniel LaRusso has known Mr. and Mrs. Gao since their college days; her father landed a position in their marketing team, while her mother was the new interpreter as the previous one was on maternity leave.

Kim's sister, Camilla loved the fact that their family moved. She could have a fresh start in a city full of opportunities. Ever since she graduated from high school, she has been playing with the idea of becoming an actress. Now, there was a possibility that her dream could become reality.

All of this left Kim as the only member of the small family that dreaded this changed. She had to leave her small group of friends and everything she held dear behind in New York, and start over in a place so different from what she was used to. The only thing that eased her nerves somewhat was the fact that it was only the start of the academic year. At least this way, she could blend in somewhat. If it was the middle of the year, she would stand out like a sore thumb.

"Kim, look." Camilla took her sister's hand in hers, giving it an encouraging squeeze. "It's gonna be alright. You are a nice, smart girl. Be yourself and you'll make friends in a blink of an eye, you just have to believe in it."

Kim took a deep breath, slowly nodding her head. She wasn't as confident as her sister believed her to be. She'd rather avoid all contact with those she didn't know, but it seemed like in West Valley High School this won't be an option.

"I'll try my best," she smiled, looking at her older sister nervously. Deep down she was desperately trying to convince herself that in the end everything will work.

"Good girl. That's what I like to hear."

The two sisters exchanged a hug, and with a last glance at Camilla, Kim got out of the car.

She sighed.

That day marked the beginning of the rest of her life. She was full of hopes and dreams, expectations and worries, but there was something Kim didn't know. Soon, she would find herself caught in the middle of a war between two rivaling karate dojos; an experience that might just change her for the worst.

[Hey there! I hope I managed to perk up your interest with this small prologue, and that you'll check out the rest of the story. I just recently finished binge watching Cobra Kai on Netflix, and I'm so excited about the series! I can't wait for season 4 even though season 3 just came out. I love the universe they created, and couldn't help but write my own story based on the original work. Thank you for reading, and hope you'll enjoy my writing!]