Dance With Me? | Remus Lupin x Fem!Reader

Dance With Me?

Request: Hi can u write a remus fic where the yule ball is soon so instead of a normal lesson they have dance lessons and the shy reader doesn't want to dance because they have a limp/walking disability remus asked them to dance and they keep taking the piss out of them self and feel stupid but begin to enjoy them self till someone picks on them and remus runs after them and it's all fluffy idk write it if u want thank you bye xx

Warnings: bulliying (from lucius malfoy),

Remus, like most others, has prepared himself for the dance lessons to be excruciatingly boring and torturous. The great hall is unusually empty, ridded temporarily of its seats and tables to accommodate the day' s compulsory lessons in preparation for the upcoming ball.

The air holds a certain buzz in it though as he arrives with his friends though, a manifestation of all the awkward excitement and nerves of teenagers forced to dance. People have already began to partner up, joyful couples already holding hands, the best friends who've already come as a prearranged due, and the nervous admirerswaiting anxiously by the stands as their friends nudge them towards their crushes.

The minute his eyes land on her from across the room, he knows he's about to fall into the latter category. (Y/N) (Y/L/N) sits alone, smiling sadly as her friends partner up around her, as people pass her by without even a glance of consideration.

She fiddles nervously with the ends of her crutch, what she's sure has doomed her to watching from the sidelines. Her forlorn eyes drop to her lap defeatedly, stirring a feeling of longing in Remus' stomach.

Behind him, Sirius begins to grin, staring between the girl and his friend. Remus jumps at the feeling of his hand clapping his shoulder, grimacing when he notices Sirius' smirk.

"Go on, Moony." He starts. "Ask her."

"Don't make it sound so simple." Remus scolds. "She won't say yes."

"Shut up, Remus." He snorts. "Go bloody ask her or I will."

"Shut up."

"You think I'm joking." Sirius continues. "But she's a pretty girl and if you're going to be stupid enough to let her go, I won't mind sliding in."

Remus glowers at him, ignoring how the logical part of his brain tells him not let it get to him, instead trusting the strangely jealous part of him, the part that has him shrugging his friends arm from his shoulder determinedly and walking across the hall.

It's not until he's halfway towards her that he realises he's no idea what to say, beginning to practice the question in his head over and over until it sounds natural, though it never does. He's only pulled out of his daze when her voice interrupts him and alerts him to the fact he's already arrived.

"Are you okay there, Remus?" She asks in concern. "You look a little distracted."

"Oh." Remus blinks at her, gulping down his nerves. "I'm fine, thanks."

"Can I help?" She smiles sweetly. "With whatever is distracting you, I mean."

He can picture exactly how Sirius might deal with the question, how he'd use it to smoothly transition into a question of his own; "Yes actually... how about a dance?", but even the thought of repeating them seems absurd to Remus.

"I was just wondering you wanted to dance together?"

Her face falters with an emotion he can't decipher, though he's hoping desperately it's no disappointment. Her mouth opens with an anticipated explanation that he's sure is to be a rejection.