Chapter 44. Dumbledore and Harry Chat ☾

A/N: Sorry for late update... :)

When everything was decided, Dumbledore excused the champions, as well as the others. Harry, on the other hand, did not budge. Dumbledore motioned for him to leave once again. Harry shook his head.

"Professor, I would like a word with you." Harry told him. Dumbledore looked confused.

"Harry, I'm sure whatever it is can at least wait until morning. You had a stressful night. Get some rest." Dumbledore ordered. Harry shook his head again.

"No, Professor. I need to talk to you tonight." Harry demanded. Dumbledore sighed.

"Of course. Come to my office, Harry." Dumbledore motioned for Harry to go in front of him, and the boy did so. They walked in silence all the way to Dumbledore's office, though the headmaster had tried to strike up a conversation a few times. Harry had just ignored him. He was already thinking how this conversation had to go in his head.

Once they arrived at their destination, Dumbledore took a seat behind his desk. He motioned for Harry to take a seat in front of him. Harry sat down, trying to keep his gaze with the headmaster. The silence in the room was deafening.

"Why?" Harry spat. Dumbledore was taken aback. He shook his head.

"Why what, Harry?" The older man questioned. Harry sneered.

"Why me? Why my life? You have so many other people's lives you could be ruining. Why did you have to choose mine?" Harry inquired, almost pleadingly. Dumbledore sighed.

"Harry, what makes you think I am trying to ruin your life?" Dumbledore asked him, a strange look overtaking his face. It seemed like he was holding back triumph, or fear, or a mixture of the two. He looked like he was watching as his plans almost came to fruition, but were about to be altered ever so slightly. Harry wondered what was behind the look.

"I lived my life abused. I know you knew about it. I know Arabella Figg is your spy. I know you planned my entire first year around the Philosopher's Stone so that I would go after it. You knew Quirrell hid Voldemort, but you wanted me to face him, didn't you? It seems like my entire life has become one big deathtrap, Professor. I'm sick of it. Why didn't you defend me tonight? Why am I still signed up for a tournament that I didn't even qualify for? I don't meet the requirements necessary to even compete..." Harry ranted.

"Harry, what makes you say that?" Dumbledore interrupted.

"I'm not seventeen!" Harry shouted. He jumped from his chair and started pacing. "I'm not seventeen. I'm not old enough to sign a legally binding contract. I didn't sign the contract, someone signed it for me! Yet, here you are, forcing me to compete. I don't want to fight, Headmaster. I want one year where something isn't out to maim, torture, or kill me. Is that too much to ask?" Dumbledore sighed and looked around his office, as if bored. This annoyed Harry further. "You don't even seem to care that I've been entered into a life-threatening competition! I am your student. I am your responsibility. If I die, you're the one who will have to answer to my godfather. Merlin, it's like you want me dead or something!" Harry shouted. He stopped.

No, it can't be true, Harry thought to himself. He knew Dumbledore had told Snape Harry had to die to save the wizarding world, but had he really wanted to kill Harry? Harry began to shake his head in disbelief. He began to hyperventilate and he had to sit down.

"No. No, no, no, no, no. You want me dead, don't you?" Harry interrogated. Silence rang out for a long time. "Don't you?!" Harry screamed at the man.

Dumbledore looked at Harry apathetically. He sighed and hunched his shoulders slightly. Then, he got up and looked out his office window. All Harry could do was shake his head in disbelief. His anger began to rise and he began to pant heavily.