7 | report

"It ceased at last, as everything dreadful has to cease, even if it ceases only by death."

— Iris Murdoch

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

7 | report

The Swift Luxury was established thirty-one years ago, aiming to provide sumptuous accommodation for tourists and residents of Pine Ridge alike. It overlooked a dreamy rugged coastline, attracting newly-weds for honeymoons and businessmen for sojourns. The four-storey wonder provided a variety of choices for entertainment and relaxation one could behest.

Scott, the eldest of the Swifts, and the owner of the aforementioned hotel, instilled the fine skills of hotel management into his children from a young age, for he intended to pass down his legacy after retirement. Attending to the needs of their visitors perpetually remains the top most priority of their business. No manager should hold himself so high that he would refuse to serve his guests by his own two hands if the situation demands. Housekeeping, catering, marketing, administration. That's the first lesson. Master everything you expect from your staff. Now, thirty-one years later, Scott enjoys his newspaper with a mug of ginger ale in the quieter side of town, while his children run the business.

It was one such day at work when Taylor left her designated office for lunch and stepped into the lavish lobby of her hotel, when she spotted a woman conversing with the receptionist. She was young, possibly as old as herself, with luscious auburn bob that she instinctively envied. Her dress was the same shade of auburn that stopped just above her knees. Two suitcases were settled behind her, waiting to be unpacked. Taylor took a few steps closer to the woman, casually listening in on her words.

" –haven't decided yet. But not more than a week." She spoke with a slight accent that Taylor couldn't place. She wasn't from the town.

"Alright. Here are your keys, ma'am. Have a wonderful stay." The receptionist handed the woman a set of keys with a professional smile. She grabbed it and turned towards the lobby, spotting Taylor, who stood sharply in her crisp white blouse and a dark grey pencil skirt. A porter appeared and offered to carry the woman's luggage ahead of her.

"Welcome to The Swift Luxury," Taylor greeted. The woman instantly recognized authority in the lady before her.

"It's quite a fancy sight. Thank you."

Something about the aura she carried irked Taylor. Gesturing in the direction the porter just took, she asked, "Your first time at Pine Ridge?"

"It is, yes. It's a friendly town." The woman nodded sweetly, "Might as well take up the services it offers while I look for a place to move in."

"That's wonderful." She extended her hand, "I'm Taylor Swift."

The woman accepted it with great poise. "Ivy Chastain."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The movie screening was set to begin at 5:05 pm and Danielle was late. Not if the commercials weren't counted but the they were best part – they gave her ideas, boosted her creativity and put her mind into critic mode. She couldn't afford to miss them. She rang Taylor again, her foot tapping impatiently on the cobblestone pavement.

"Where are y–"

"Danielle, you need to see this," Taylor's voice was frantic. But before Danielle could reply, she spotted her car swerving onto the lane and halting in front of her in a parking spot. She hung up the phone, swinging the door open and settled in the passenger seat.

Taylor held a bunch of papers on her lap that she immediately thrusted into Danielle's. She picked them up in trepidation, her hands shaking at the familiar face printed on the poster, titled MISSING with black bold letters.

Danielle looked up, her eyes wide. "Taylor, this is–"

"I know. Read it."

MISSING:

Name: Este Haim-Gray
Age: 34
Last seen on: December 11, 2020
Wearing: Pale blue shirt and dark jeans

If found please contact Pine Ridge Police Department on 800 19008900

Danielle glanced at Taylor, "Did Carson report this?"

"Apparently so. Read the newspaper article."

Danielle shuffled the papers and saw a small section dedicated to her missing sister.

MISSING WIFE

On December 15, 2020, Carson Gray, resident of Pine Ridge working as an engineer has reported his wife missing. Este Haim-Gray, 34, was last seen at her house on Finlay St., wearing a pale blue shirt and dark jeans; before Carson left for work on the morning of December 11. Carson returned home to find his wife gone, thinking she's over at her sisters' or friends' place. It is not uncommon for Este to stay over unannounced. Failure of Este to return home for three days led the worrisome husband to report his wife missing at Pine Ridge Police Station. If you have any information, please contact on 800 19008900.

"This is bullshit," Danielle concluded.

"My thoughts exactly," agreed Taylor. "The way he spun the story, it's slowly pointing in our direction. He didn't contact any of us in the first place. And now he has the audacity to drop our names to the police."

Danielle was quiet for a long time, thinking back to everything Este had told them. Carson having a mistress, his weird behaviour, the scents, and the fancy jewelry in their joint account, which she thought, was a moronic move. It's possible that everything that happened between them was the mistress' doing and not his. She could have been pulling the strings and he could have been blackmailed for money. But her instincts suggested otherwise. She voiced her thoughts to Taylor.

"I don't think so. There was no reason for him to go behind her back if he is being financially blackmailed. The whole situation reeks of cheating. It did since day once. Nonetheless, it's worth a second thought." Taylor paused, "Do you think we should go check on him?"

"Check on him?"

"Yeah. Inquire about Este. He's your brother-in-law after all."

Danielle made a face, but complied. "Alright. But after the movie; come pick me up. I'm already missing the commercials."