-chapter 24: War-

-War-

                            -War-

"This way!"

Thomas led the group along the corridors of the maze, ivy hanging low from the walls. The thuds of the gladers feet echoed around them ,each time they took a step.

Robyn stayed back with Newt, who struggled slightly due to his limp. Although he ran with difficulty, he still managed to keep close the the group of boys in front, Chuck also joining the pair.

"Keep going babe," Robyn held onto his shoulder, looking him in the eyes, "You have got this!"
He sent her a thankful smile, his dimples showing.

Although her lungs burned from running through the endless turns and corridors of the maze, she had her full attention on the two boys. Her ankle had a dull ache as she placed pressure on it, but she brushed it off and instead grabbed a hold of Chuck's hand.

"You alright bud?" She panted, holding him tight.

"Y-yeah. Are....are....we....nearly....there?" he breathed heavily, his little legs trying to keep up with the older gladers strides.

"We should be," She slowed down at a pace the young boy would be able to cope with, Newt also doing the same and jogging at the right side of her.

"Look, it's opening up more!" The blonde boy pointed out, causing the other two to look up.

The small ,tight walls had gone and the place became less claustrophobic. Small amounts of the tall, stone walls surrounded them, and the ground changed. The once cracked, stone ground had become a dry,sand floor, which sent dust clouds up into the air with every step.

As Robyn pushed her flowing hair from her face, she noticed a large red number on the wall, '3'.

"What do you think that's for?" Newt tapped her shoulder, noticing the same thing.

The girl had remembered the time she went into the map room with Minho and Thomas, and how the runner had explained the 'outer sections', which all had numbers.

"I think we are in the outer sections of the maze" Robyn whispered slightly, trying to contain her breath.

Newt tilted his head at his girlfriend, confused to how she knew, but decided not to question it. The boy simply reached for the girls hand and intertwined their fingers together. He traced his thumb on the back of her hand, smiling in admiration as he ran.
Even running, she looked just as good as always.
The girl lifted her head, catching her boyfriend staring. A big smile formed on her face as she looked back, wishing they were somewhere else together.

"Newt, i love you" The wind rushed through her hair, as she pushed her way along.

"I love you too Rob!" He struggled to speak properly, exhaustion obviously affecting him.