Chapter 3

I sat before the altar I had in my home dedicated to all of our gods. I lit a flame in a few candles and looked down at the tiny figurines, "Ullr, son of Thor, god of snow and ice, I beg of you to keep your winter at bay for my brother. Yol shadows upon us and I feel it every time you send your ice to enfold the earth. But for his sake, I ask you to prolong it. I have fears for his being."

I looked around my shoulder and saw Rekkr standing in the doorway. He stared at me and then at the altar. He stepped his way over to me and looked up at the figures, "Who is Ullr?" He questioned.

"He is the god of snow, ice, hunting, and archery. He is the son of the beautiful Sif and stepson to Thor." I explained, "There are poems, tales of him sailing across the ocean upon his shield."

Rekkr raised his brow, "Are they true?"

I scoffed at him and winked, "Of course they are true." I swiftly picked him up and swung him around, "Now I must go visit, Helga, can you stay here?" He nodded, "Good." I set him down and quickly pulled on my cloak.

As I walked, I felt the heavy wind push and pull me every which way. As I walked through the rock it did not seem to get any better. I tripped over the large stones and trudged through the hard frozen ground. When I reached a house looking out to the fjord, I smiled grandly as I remembered the last time I had been there.

I knocked on the door and a disheveled Helga answered. Her face was dirty and her hair a mess. She had trails of tears going down her cheeks. She smiled sweetly at the sight of me and let me into her home.

I set my cloak down on a chair as she walked over to a brewing pot, "Are you hungry?" She asked me. I shook my head no and she went back to stirring.

The house was empty apart from the fact of the wind crashing onto the wood. Helga poured herself a small bowl of hot soup and sat in front of me. I smiled weakly as she took a sip and closed her eyes to enjoy it.

"Why have you come?"

My lips parted and I sighed deeply, "You were there when my mother and brother left and when I gave birth to my son. . . I thought it only right that I am here when you lose yours."

Tears started in her eyes and quickly wiped them away, "I'm not angry with the decision you made for Floki, I hated him for what he did." She admitted, "I knew eventually this would happen. But I did not expect that Angerboda —" Her voice cracked and she shook her head, "I was not expecting to lose my daughter."

I placed my hand on hers, "If there is anything you ever need, Helga, I am here. You were like my mother once, I will always take care of you as such." She nodded and wrapped her arms around my neck. I returned the embrace.

For a while, we sat and talked about everything and nothing. She confided in me of her doubts with Floki and her fears. She was truly frightened for her husband and I understood every bit of it. When it came time to say goodbye, I reminded her again of my offer and she nodded graciously to it. I carried myself back down to Kattegat.

When I returned, I grabbed Rekkr from my cabin and walked into the market with him. To my surprise, I saw Ragnar with Aslaug and their sons all sitting by the fishermen's huts. I took my son's hand and walked over to them.

As I approached, I heard Ragnar telling the boys a story, "Thor came to a deep channel. The sun dazzled upon the water. On the far bank, a figure sprawled in the sun, his flat-bottomed boat beside him. 'Hey!' yelled Thor." He nodded to me and my son as I sat on a log pulling him into my lap and continued with the story, "'You over there! Are you the ferryman and whose ferry is that?' The figure sat up. He cupped his hands and shouted, 'Hildolf, the slaughtered wolf, entrusted it to me! And he has given me my orders! So, if you want to cross here, tell me your name!' Demanded the ferryman. 'Mmm, I'll tell you. I am the son of Odin, the strongest god of all. So, ferryman, you are talking to Thor!'The god's words made waves across the water, they broke at the ferryman's feet. 'Now tell me your name,' said Thor. And the ferryman, he stood up" Ragnar stood in his spot and chewed off the head of the fish he was holding, "and he shouted, 'My name is Harbard! I seldom hide it.'" He pointed at the boys and eyed Aslaug.

Hvitserk leaned forward, "Have you ever met Harbard?"

"No, not I." He told him, "Perhaps your mother has."

They both glared at each other, "We should eat." Aslaug spoke through gritted teeth.

"In the spring," Ubbe began, "will you take us to Paris? Hvitserk and me?"

"We must celebrate Yol first." Aslaug stood up grabbing Hvitserk and Sigurd, "It's the heart of winter."

"But will Bjorn be back for Yol?" Ubbe questioned.

They looked around at each other and I cleared my throat, "With any hope, our brother will be back." I nodded, "Make sure you pray to the gods, yes?"

"Come and eat," Aslaug stated again and led the boys away. I let go of Rekkr and he followed with his uncles.

I looked back at my father, "What was that all about, hmm?"

Years ago, when Siggy died, Ragnar had found out that Aslaug had slept with another man by the name of Harbard. Ever since he had blamed her for Siggy's death because she was incapable of watching her own children.

Father shrugged, "Perhaps she shouldn't sleep with other men and I wouldn't have to bring it up."

I scoffed at him, "It was one man, and not like you have any room to talk Ragnar."

"I was not in love with her when I slept with her."

"Are you accusing her of loving him?" I questioned.

Ragnar nodded and stood up, "Come, it's almost supper."

I rolled my eyes at the man and when I stood up, I could hear distant yelling. When I looked up, I saw a raven flying overhead. It crowed and perched itself upon the Great Hall. I gasped as I looked up in the mountains and saw a whole flock flying away. As I looked back at my father, I realized he had heard it as well. He was looking at the mountains with water in his eyes.

My hand gently raised up to his shoulder, "Father?" I questioned but got no response. I touched him, "Ragnar —" he snapped out of his daze and smacked my hand off of his shoulder. I jumped in surprise.

His eyes looked at me with guilt and then wandered off to the same slave woman from when he had awoken.

Her hair was braided in two and she carefully walked over to the both of us, "The fish." She gestured to the basket of fish in front of my father. He leaned down and picked up the basket and passed it over to her. They stared at each other for only a few fleeting seconds before she walked away.

I watched as Ragnar looked back to where the raven was. I followed his gaze to see that it was gone. He glanced back at me, "Come." He ordered and walked into the Great Hall.

When I walked in, I quickly grabbed Rekkr and bid farewell to my brothers, Ragnar, and Aslaug. Siggy came running up to me before leaving. I picked her up and covered her with my cloak. The three of us left together.

I made supper for the three of us in my cabin. I cooked chicken and made soup. I set both of them around the fire and watched as they ate. Siggy had eaten more than I ever had. I gave her the rest of the soup she was eyeing and laid them both down in Rekkr's bed in the other room.

As I sat on the edge of the bed pulling the covers over both of them, Rekkr pleaded for a story.

"Now it is very late, there is no time for a story," I told them.

Siggy looked up, "Aslaug says that you enjoy Hávamál," I nodded, "what is your favorite?"

The both of them looked at me with curiosity, "About his intelligence, no man should be boastful, rather cautious of mind; when a wise and silent man comes to a homestead blame seldom befalls the wary; for no more dependable friend can a man ever get than a store of common sense."

Rekkr smirked mischievously, "What does it all mean?"

I stood and began blowing out the candles in the room, "The wise man knows not to gloat and when to be silent." I told them in simpler words, "Now go to bed." I warned them.

They giggled as I blew out the last candle and shut the door behind me. I undressed my top layer of clothing only to reveal a bottom white gown beneath. I slid in between the furs and my bed and hummed to myself as I drifted.