001┆chapter one

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

one.      detention

▬▬ CASSIE SMILED AS she sat in the sand and watched the water slap against the beach. First Beach was one of her favorite places in the entire world ― even if she hadn't ever left Washington. She felt more at home there than she did anywhere else, something she couldn't quite explain.

"Cas!" She turned at the sound of her name and smiled as she watched her three best friends near the fire pit she had set up just a few minutes before.

"Come on!" Jacob waved her over and she pushed herself up before running towards them, jumping on Embry's back. He laughed as he staggered but he was quick to lock his arms behind her knees as he struggled to find his footing in the sand.

"Careful! There's a fire." Quil warned the two as he pushed them away from the small fire he had ignited, this time Embry did fall. He landed on top of Cassie making her groan a little before laughing, the two watching laughed as Embry pushed himself up before helping to girl to her feet.

"You okay?" Embry asked, getting a nod as she pulled him towards the fire, the four sitting around it as he set up Cassie's Boombox ― he was the closest to it.

"Tell me again, why you have a Boombox?" Quil asked the girl as she tucked her dark locks behind her ear, fighting against the slight breeze.

"Billy gave it to me." She shrugged as the music started playing, it was a Led Zeppelin cassette tape. "Along with all of his cassettes."

"You're such a weirdo," Jacob told the girl and she reached over, throwing her fist into his shoulder.

"You're just mad that he gave it to me and not you." She teased, making the other two laugh as they glared at each other for a moment, before Cassie busted out laughing, making him laugh right along with her. "So, who brought the marshmallows?" She asked as she looked around at the three with hopeful eyes.