xxv.

"Oh, Moony," Harry cried out, just as his professor turned up in his empty dorm. Harry skipped Divination, excusing himself for feeling sick, which he did. Lupin came closer, setting Harry's wand next to his head. After his duel with Draco, Harry practically ran out of the classroom, leaving his wand lying as it was. "He..."

"I know, Harry, I heard," Remus sighed, tangling his hand in the boy's hair in a failing attempt to calm him down. "I'm sorry for putting you two together," he apologized, watching the broken boy shake, tears streaming down his face. 

"You didn't know," Harry sobbed. His hand shot up to wipe away some tears, and he managed to stutter out: " I loved him... More than anyone before."

"I'm sure he feels the same way," the man only continued stroking Harry's head, "You should've seen the look on his face when you left. He was sorry, you know."

"Yeah, of course," the emerald-eyed boy rolled his eyes, "He's Draco Malfoy- he thinks before he speaks. He knew what his words will do to me."

"Maybe there's more to it," suggested the werewolf with a raised eyebrow.

"Right... If there was, he would try to solve it. With me, just as he promised. We were supposed to be unbreakable," Harry laughed, "And I was so naive. Of course we couldn't ever work out - we hated each other, for Merlin's sake!" His shaky hand reached out under his shirt, pulling out the necklace. "I'm pretty sure he cursed this damn thing as well," he shook his head. "I was just a joke to him."

"There are no traces of Dark Magic on that jewel, Harry, only protection charms," the professor reassured, but seeing as Harry reached out to pull it over his head, he stopped him with a firm squeeze of hand. "Don't take it off."

"But-"

"Trust me on this one," he smiled down at the crying boy, "Thing will soon come clear, you'll see. I'll leave you to rest. If anything happens, you know where to find me."

"Thanks, Moony," Harry smiled through his tears, drifting off to a deep slumber. He decided to skip both lunch and dinner - his body was too weak to even move on its own.

"He hates me," Draco said sadly, "I've done it, Pansy, he hates me." The two Slytherins were sitting on a big bed in Pansy's dorm room, as her roommates were talking with some boys in their common room. "I broke his heart," he sighed.

"You sure did," the girl only nodded, "I told you there's a way out of this!"

"But there isn't!" the older raised his voice slightly, "There just isn't. My father has too much power for it to be possible. Which means I'd have to give him up. Even if I sorted things out, I already made him despise me again."

"I'm sure he's not like that, Draco," the girl tried cheering him up. "I hate his guts, though I know he cares for people even after they hurt him, if he knows they're worthy," she thought for a moment, "Flipping Gryffindor."

"Yes, but think about it, Pans - have I ever given him a reason to consider me worthy?  With all the insults and fights?" Draco rubbed his tired eyes. "No, our fling didn't last long enough for him to actually fall for me the way I have fallen for him. He recently just started trusting me, and here I am, breaking his stupid heart."

Pansy moved her bangs out of her face, frowning: "Try talking to him-"

"That's the whole problem! I can't even look at him," the young Malfoy sighed in desperation. His body gave up, making him fall over, so he was now lying on his back, arms spread across the bed. "I just don't want him to lose something so important for him..."

"Great, Draco, you truly are a saviour!" the girl faked excitement, "To think a stupid school is more valuable to him that his own boyfriend!"

"No, Pansy, that's not it," Draco shook his head. "His muggles are horrible! They made him sleep in a closet, scrub the floor every single day, left him to wear clothes that his spoiled cousin didn't want, mind you they were way too big for him, and many terrible things. Hogwarts is his home, I can't have him expelled. Just as I can't have myself expelled. Or I'd be disowned..."

"I still think there's a way out of it," Pansy shrugged, "Give it time. At least now you'll see how much he cares for you."

"I hope you're right..."

"I am always right," she sneered. Tapping the spot beside her, she smiled the brightest smile: "Now come, and give me a hug. I promise I won't try to sneak into your pants this time." The boy just laughed weakly, sitting up to wrap his hands around the girl's body.

"No crush on me?" he ensured himself. 

"No crush on you," she nodded, feeling him smile against her neck.

"Good," he breathed out, "I missed you, Pans."