Chapter 16 - Visitors

Gaia is still freaking out about the visit from the Argents. I think she's overreacting. I say, let them come and take more Pennies away. Fine with me if it means more elbow room in the hollow. If they come and try to wreck the place again, well I say let them try. Now we know their weapons and tactics. The Sing knows how to get me into at least one of their enclaves. And I've got some ideas on how to deal with killfire if they pull that shit again. There is a lot of buzz in the Sea of Souls about Old Ones comparing notes about enhancing their cordons of protection. So let them come, I say.

"You are in denial," she says as she fusses with her Ophanim, making sure that the Argents haven't sabotaged it.

"We sent them running with their tails between their legs."

"It was a strategic decision. These are old souls we are talking about. They know how to play the long game."

"I need to go back for a time," she says.

"But you just got here."

"The Council needs to know these things."

"Give it a couple days. Let's build our house."

"The Council needs to know!"

"Alright. They need to know. So are you leaving like ... now?"

She takes a deep breath.

"In a bit."

She looks at me all pained. I swoop over and take her into my arms.

"Sheesh! It's okay. What are you so worried about?"

"Evacuating the high level Penultians will expose you. Their presence is the only thing stopping them from obliterating this place."

"That didn't stop them from obliterating Penult."

"Well, actually they did evacuate the uppermost echelon."

"What?"

"Before the Makers came with their killfire, several thousand of the highest vetted Penultians were transferred to an enclave in secret."

"What about my neighbors across the pond? Brent and Ammie seem to think they are pretty high-faluting."

"Apparently they missed some, or they are broadening their fetch. Not enough to include the likes of Brent and Ammie, but it tells me that they would be ready to exert more extreme measures once the middle tier souls have been removed."

"Like what?"

"Like what they did to the Deeps. The Makers have ways of destroying realms they don't intend to repurpose."

"Those fuckers!"

I just kind of stand there and stare at her.

"Well, we need to put a stop to that."

"Come with me and you will be safe."

"No way. There are people here that need to know this too. I need to get into the Sea of Souls. Pass the word."

"There is nothing anyone here can do if it comes down to total obliteration. That can be done remotely, from an enclave."

"We need to find a way to fight this, Gaia."

"I will try to arrange for another ark. We can evacuate as many as possible."

"No. We need to stay and fight!"

"You cannot fight the Powers-That-Be! They are the Powers-That-Be."

"We did it before. We can do it again."