23.

"All I want for christmas is patience."
-the author
_______________________

"-the author_______________________

Hazel Fenty

Monday
two days until christmas

I sat on Harlow's bed crying so hard I could feel my nose closing up, like I was gonna get a cold. I cried all night, I was so hurt, my heart was aching. All I wanted for the last several weeks before Christmas was to get closer with my dad. He was really showing his ass off, getting into drugs, gambling, being distant, and now he's involved in something that could cost him the rest of his life. Harlow rubbed my back soothingly and occasionally shushed me. She knew I could black out at any moment.

"I'm gonna go check on my grandma, I'll be right back." I nodded, laying down. My phone rung, flashing beside me. I saw Bashar's name, and answered.

"Breathe mama." He said. "Close your eyes and breathe." I did as instructed, closing my eyes and breathed. "Do it again."  A tear ran down my face as I did it again. "Again." I repeated it, and then opened my eyes. "Good girl." He nodded.

I wiped my face, I felt so much better. A cool breeze came through the window and it felt so good. Harlow's grandmother had an older house so when it became cold Harlow and her uncle would help bring in wood to put in the wooden heater. Sometimes when it became too hot she's lift the window for fresh fair.

"'Ima come get you in a minute, so we can go Christmas shopping." Bashar mentioned, I smiled that he remembered.

"I thought you forgot about that." I sniffed, rubbing my nose.

"Hell 'nah. 'Ion forget important things like that." I was so grateful to have a good friend like him.

"You ready doll? Bashar is coming down the street." Harlow called. I put on my lipgloss and grabbed my purse. I made sure I had my card and my ID.

"Coming." I turned off her light, and closed the door. I made my way out to the door. Harlow hugged me, and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you pretty girl." She whispered.

"I love you more, Lolo." I told her. Bashar pulled up in the yard, I unlocked the screen door and opened it. Harlow held onto the door and made sure the screen didn't slam shut. I walked to the car and got in.

Bashar honked the horn, then carefully backed out the driveway. I clicked my seatbelt and settled in the seat. "Hey, Shar." I greeted. He looked over at me then back at the road. He lifted his hand, putting it on my thigh.