Thank You. (Fluff)

It was the night that the incident at Hershels' Farm happened. You thought you'd never forget it, everything was so gruesome and it all happened so fast, it took you a few hours to fully process everything that happened. You were there to see the bullets being shot into the dead corpses called walkers. You saw how both Shawn Greene and Arnold Greene both died horrible deaths. The teeth of walkers sinking into their pale skin was something you'd never want to see again. Luckily Daryl was the one to eventually swoop you up off of your feet and take you away on the motorcycle that night, even if he was covered in blood from the flesh eating humans, he wanted to make sure you were okay and didn't get bitten as well. He couldn't risk losing you. it seemed like all you could do was cry. You wanted to forget. You wished none of this was real. Why was this the way the world had to end?
A few days passed And Rick found a new spot to camp out at. It was a huge prison that seemed pretty abandoned, there was just a few zombies that needed to be cleared off of the court yard. You And Daryl both agreed to help with that job. Right and left you jammed your dagger into the heads of people were once alive, even thought you didn't like it, it was something that had to be done. As you and Daryl were out in the courtyard alone he turned to look at you once there wasn't anymore walkers that were coming towards the two do you, expecting to get a bite.
"Are you okay?"
He spoke up, wiping the beads of sweat off of his forehead with the back of his hand. Daryl had something for you but he wouldn't dare to show it but sometimes it just slipped through. The man felt like he had to keep things to himself, he had to be the strong one in the group since Rick seemed to be loosing his shit just a little bit. Of course his gravely voice caught you off guard but you looked up at him, a small smile creeping upon your face.
"Always will be, what about you? Are you okay?"
You questioned, walking closer to him. You hesitated to touch him since you know he never let anyone else lay a finger on him but eventually you picked up his arm, examining it to make sure there was no bites. Daryl found this quiet funny that even if he said he was okay you were always there to make sure he was ACTUALLY okay, you knew how he lied at times so you always double checked him. To answer your question all Daryl did was nod. After a few hours of small talk the two made it into the prison for the first time. You were in shock to how big it was, you had never lived in something that was so huge and had such back story to it. You took a bit just to look around in an empty hallway that already seemed to be cleared out. The walls looked worn down and there was small blood smears on it. A little way down the hall a light was flickering. It was dim and you could barely see anything, you were taken by surprise that you didn't step on any bodies yet. As you were making your way down the quiet hallway you heard heavy footsteps echoing behind you so by instinct you grabbed your knife, the flickering light reflecting off the blade. Your heart began to race as your eyes darted around the area, looking for any walkers instead you were greeted with Daryl again. He looked sweaty and worn down. His brown hair falling into his face but somehow he still looked so beautiful. He looked at you before parting his lips to say something.
"Thank you Y/N"
He said softly, looking down and fidgeting with the ripped fabric on his black button up shirt that was already dirty and ripped in other places, it was something he did when he was nervous. Daryl was already socially awkward in many situations so he wasn't used to speaking up about small things like this, he wasn't used to thanking people. You nodded softly, a small blush crept across your face, seeing him in this kind of state, it was rare. Of course you were still shocked, Daryl never told you thank you. He was always so stubborn and hard headed, he always done things himself. Before he could say anything else or even leave you walked up to him, hugging him tightly. Daryl stood there in confusion. Physical contact was something he never received but eventually he brought his arm up, his hand resting on your arm as you hugged him. His tense body slowly softening up. Daryl looked down at your head resting on his chest, he liked the feeling of this, the feeling of holding someone close to him. After all, he didn't want to lose anyone else, he couldn't bare it anymore.
"You're Welcome Daryl..but thank you too. That night on Hershels' Farm. Thank you for saving me."
you spoke into his chest, tightening your hold on him. You felt safe in his arms even though the two of you were in the apocalypse. Daryl moved some hair behind your hair before whispering back. "You're welcome Y/N" for another minute or two the both of you kept each other in y'all's arms, you didn't want to let go but eventually you and Daryl made it back to the rest of the group, playing off the excuse that there were more walkers down the hall that you had to kill. This would be another moment you'd never forget about, it was officially burnt in the back of your mind. This was something you'd always remember. The first hug between you and Daryl.

(AN: I hope you guys enjoyed it! This is my first time doing oneshots like this so bare with me! I'm trying my best. Hopefully I'll improve the more I write! Ily <3 )