Chapter Nine

09 | RUMOUR HAS IT

"The doctor just called

"The doctor just called."

       From the illuminating lights of my laptop, I take off my glasses and look up to see Brooke. Her sluggish appearance reminds me of her rotten good night sleep due to the heavy paranoia that she constantly gets ever since Winona is not home.

       Her nightmare just keeps on getting more intense.

       Shrieks of her loud whimpers are pretty much obvious since my room is just across hers. I plan to confront her about it with meeting a therapist, but I'm afraid she's just going to break down even more at the thought of our decreasing savings to search for professional help.

       Not to forget, we haven't received any confirmation letters from the government to reopen the coffeehouse.

       Brooke slumps on my bed, letting her tense back to hit the soft mattress.

       "What did he say?" I ask, turning my body to her before she energetically rubs her face.

       I pinch my forehead. "She's still refusing to eat, isn't she?" 

       Brooke nods.

       "It's already been weeks, Mon. Freaking four weeks," she continues, "she should've been back here after the second one. What took her so long?"

       I look down, blinded for the answer to her abstract question.

       Staying sane in this state is almost impossible as everywhere we go, troubles and difficulties are rising up nonchalantly. Dealing with this pandemic, almost everything becomes relatively relatable for everyone.

       Relating to them is one thing, but actually helping them is another.

       Not everyone is capable of helping others while dealing with their own problems at the same time. The least thing we can do is to wish them luck. Not to mention sincerity, even humanity between neighbors has become a rare phenomena to be seen ever since the town is locked down.

       "You know what? I'm going to call her," Brooke impulsively announces.

       I counter her, "It's almost midnight, she could be asleep!"

       "You tell me, Mon. Do you really think she's able to sleep there?"

       My tense jaw loosens soon after realizing her referring to the isolation room.

       One fact about the referral hospital: it doesn't and won't provide its Covid patients any air conditioners. There's also no ventilation to the open air outside which causes each ward to be completely packed and sealed.

       Winona is literally suffocating with her own breath just to recover.

       "She's not answering my calls," Brooke says while spamming the decline button on her phone.