Ammends

He ran over to me and scanned me from head to toe.

       "Are you alright? I can't believe Henry got to you like that. My dad says that a guy should never hit a girl." I brushed off my romper, even though that didn't really do anything but spread the mud around.

        "Yeah, well unfortunately Henry is far from a man, so that doesn't apply to him." Stan laughed a bit, but stopped quickly.

         "I would've helped you, but I wouldn't be any good. Better to have an adult than another victim of Bower's and his gang save you." He squinted his eyes as he observed my face. "How bad did he hurt you? Your face looks really red." I didn't want to tell him that I had just finished crying, so I said the next best thing.

         "He slapped me in the face a few times, but it's all good. And technically you got the guy to come into the alley." He looked at me with a sense of admiration. It made my stomach twist up a bit.

"I wish I could talk about him as calmly as you do. You mock him even though you know he is gonna pummel you." Suddenly Stan lifted his hand to my hair and gently pulled out a leaf that was tangled in my hair. I felt butterflies rise in my stomach. I had that feeling again...no. I can't be seen with this.

          "Is something wrong?" He could tell I had something in my mind.

          "Why are you still talking to me? I completely shut you out that day. And I can't even hang out with you. My parents grounded me because I was hanging out with you guys behind their backs. If I was seen with you,  my parents would completely lose their shit." Stan put his hand on my shoulder and I immediately shut up.

          "Your parents aren't around now, are they? And as far as I'm concerned, you aren't the only one that shut me out. I haven't heard front when others since...well since that day. Richie will appear once in a while, but honestly I wish he and his huge mouth go his would stay away." I forced a laugh, but Stan still wasn't convinced. "Why don't we get out of this alleyway and head somewhere private...where a Catholic girl wouldn't be seen with a Jewish boy. What do you say?" I smiled and nodded.

           "Okay." Thankfully he didn't see what Bowers did to my hand. I grabbed my bike and followed Stan out of the alleyway. His bike was leaned up against the wall of a building.

          "Where do you want to go?" He asked as he mounted his bike. I thought for a second and smiled.

          "Follow me." I pushed off the ground and immediately started to pedal. I was careful to not get ran over by any cars or run over any people. But I was also worried that Henry might've never left, or I'd see Bill or Beverly on the street, or even my parents would be following us in a car without us actually knowing. But none of that happened. It was actually a smooth ride to the park.

         "I thought you wanted to get away from the public. I don't think the park is the best place." I looped around in my bike and went parallel to Stan.

          "We aren't hanging out in the park." Stan was confused for a second, then his eyebrows raised when he finally realized where we were going.

           "Well, then, lead the way?" We rode on the trail on the edge of the park and turned into a path that led to The Quarry. "So why'd you choose this place?"

           "I don't know. It was the first place I thought of, I guess. This probably sounds stupid, but I guess this was the first place I ever felt...accepted. God that was so sappy." Stan laughed and we peeled off to the side to park out bikes. We went over to the pile of rocks we sat at the first time we came here.