Chapter 3

My room was on 5th floor. I was tired as hell, but room was good . It was clean and well arranged. My own room at home was never clean. I quickly changed and lie on bed. I didn't even realise when I drift to sleep. When I woke, I saw a blonde girl, she was unpacking her stuff.

"Finally you are awake", she said. I rubbed my eyes and looked at her. She was lean and thin with blue eyes. " Yeah I was very tired, by the way I am Maithili ".

" Oh hi Maithili, I am Katherine Mills, are you Indian"?

"Yes"

"Wow you know, I love India and it's culture, it's just wonderful". I can see the excitement in her eyes. " Good to hear that " I said.   "What's your major by the way? "

"Journalism", Katherine answered. " You know, I am also learning hindi and some other Asian languages ".

" Well that's really impressive Katherine"

" Thanks and you can call me Kathy everyone called me that".

" Sure Kathy".  We talked for hours. I was glad to find a roommate like Katherine.

After lunch, I began to unpack my stuff and arrange my books, when suddenly Kathy said " Listen today I am going to a party with some freinds, you wanna join in"? 

" No "

I have never been to clubs or night parties with freinds before and accepting Katherine's invitation was like walking in a Lion's den. If my parents got any idea, that instead of studying I am going to parties, they will call me back.

" We cannot send you to any foreign country"

"Common Papa, you don't need to worry about money, I have applied for scholarships and I will find a part time job to pay off my other expenses. Students in Western countries pay for their college themselves".
I was trying hard to convince mom and dad.

" It's not just about money. You've never been alone to any Indian city and now you are talking about London. There will  be many complications, we don't have any relatives there. God knows how is the environment and how will be the girls at hostels and what about your city"?

" Maithili, where you lost? " I came back to present after hearing Kathy's voice.

"Sorry Kathy but I can't come and what am I gonna do there, I don't even drink".

" Please M, don't refuse and if you don't drink it's ok, nobody will force you. "

" I don't even know anyone Kathy".

"So that's the opportunity to know people here and you already know me so don't worry, we only live once please it's the age to get some new experience please".

" But"

" No but you know I have never requested anyone so much before "

"Ok fine, I'll come happy now".  I made my decision. I am here in London and no one in India is gonna find out.

Kathy was glad. At 8:00 PM we started to dress up. " I don't have a proper dress for party Kathy, can I borrow yours" ? I asked her. She gave me  a dress  which was long enough to cover my legs and it looked amazing on my lean figure.
Kathy must have figured out that I am  uncomfortable in short dresses. And I don't want to show those tiny hairs on my legs to everyone in the party.

" Let's go M" Kathy said and we left the hostel.

Katherine's photo at the top of page.