ii. the weakest

( 2006, Okinawa Island, Okinawa Prefecture )

━━━━━━━━━━━━━ Amanai Riko is a spirited young girl possessing wits and a sharp tongue. She's a little ray of sunshine when her thin lips curl up into a radiant smile making even Satoru's cold heart flutter with unexpected sympathy for her inevitable demise she has welcomed with open arms, embracing it as if the gods have been kind to her when they burdened her with cruel fate not meant for fragile-boned girls with starry eyes. But she is strong-willed, determined to let her youth and life be taken away from her for the greater good and the sake of those protected by people they don't even see. Futility's plainness is unrecognizable to the naive and the righteous rendering them blind to their self-imposed doom. And Amainai Riko doesn't understand the futility of the sacrifice she makes.

With the sun at its highest point burning brightly against an infinity of perfect blue, taking refuge beneath the parasol has apparently been the wiser decision as proven by a look at Suguru's neck and shoulders.

"I told you to use sunscreen." Chiyo casts him a complacent look as she watches him sit down on the beach towel next to her. "Even Satoru listened to me, and he usually never does."

"Ah, you worry too much, Chiyo. Really it's fine, just a sunburn." Kind eyes smile along with pale lips in a duet of appreciation of her caring nature. Suguru being the polite one out of these two prodigies, knows how to express the right emotions at the right time, making those around him feel acknowledged and welcomed rather than inferior and irrelevant when exposed to the radiance of Satoru Gojo's god complex.

She shrugs her shoulders and buries her feet in the sand, shovelling up remnants of rocks and mountains that once graced the land with outstretched carol-painted toes. "So how's the water?"

A hand runs through wet black hair coated with salt of the ocean, droplets running over flushed skin burned by rays of a relentless sun too violent for their pale complexions. "It's perfect. You should go in." Suguru suggests. "They'd be glad to have you play with them instead of me. Riko even asked why you're sitting here all alone."

Obsidian eyes roll to the sky above hidden beneath a pattern of white and blue vertical stripes. "Somebody has to look after our things, wouldn't you agree?" She smirks, rummaging through her bag. "And even so, water's not my element. Even as a kid, I hated the ocean."

"Oh, how come? Are you afraid of the sea?" A look of curiosity on handsome features spawns longing of speaking about things long forgotten, tucked somewhere in the deepest crevice of her mind, but instead of opening her heart, she lights a cigarette, inhaling nicotine providing a high she doesn't even need nor crave to fulfill hidden desires. It's just a bad habit she's picked up from Shoko while helping to dissect corpses of former fellow sorcerers in order to study purplish blue organs in the name of science.