o n e

The fire crackles in front of me, soothing and warm. Its dim light illuminates the dark hall as the sparkling chandelier swings slowly, threatening to fall.

I swipe my finger across the blade and watch it drip onto my pure white evening gown.

It wasn't a good choice to wear this one today. It's going to leave a questionable stain.

"Nothing a little hot water and soap can't fix," I say, setting the blade aside.

Another day, another dollar.

The stack of paper bills, jewels, and gold sits on the side table, taunting me. Touch, hold, wear.

An extravagant ruby necklace whispers to me. It was the same shade of the bloodstain on my dress. I sigh and hold it up, the pendant catching the light and making it dance.

A knock at my door surprises me, I didn't call for anyone at this time. I put down the necklace and wince as I get up.

All that exercise was not part of the contract.

"Yes?" I ask, turning the knob.

"Lady Sophie," A sickeningly sweet voice sings. "You know what I'm here for."

I groan. I absolutely despise Duchess Gisela.

All of these dirty jobs I do are for her. It's not that she's incapable of doing them herself, she just doesn't want to risk getting caught. So, she recruited an active, young, healthy 15-year-old.

It all started on my 14th birthday. I was practicing my archery when I saw a hooded figure standing among the trees.

I examined it, trying to make out who it might be. It leaves a note on one of the many stone benches.

I picked it up and flipped it over for any names. As I broke the seal, a letter fell out, thick and heavy expensive paper.

"Meet me at the gates of Havenfield, near the water fountain, at 12 am." It read. "Don't be late."

Anyway, I hand Duchess Gisela her share of the money, glaring at her as she exits my chambers.

Locking the door, I slip off my dress and toss it to the side, hitting the wooden floor in a pool of shimmering fabric.

---

The marble tiles glisten with water as I walk slowly across the bathroom, trying not to slip. The scent of vanilla and lavender fills the air, with a hint of sandalwood. 

I grabbed my silk nightgown and threw it on. Climbing into my soft sheets, I look up at the ceiling and replay today's events.

Blood splattering across the wall, hot and fresh. Nothing new. Dead, limp bodies scattered across the floor, the fear frozen in their eyes.

I crawl further down my sheets and curl up. As my breathing slows, I slowly close my eyes and fall into a deep, peaceful sleep.