t h r e e

"I'd like you to kill my son,"

I choke on my apple. Keefe Sencen?

"Your son?"

"Yes, my son." She groans, irritated. "Do you need me to repeat that?"

"No."

Huh, Keefe Sencen.

I don't really know anything about him, except for the fact that he's Prince Fitz's best friend. Oh, and that he rejected Princess Biana.

I'd see him at balls every so often, before all the wars of course. He'd be smiling, laughing, cracking dumb jokes. He always seemed so happy. It annoyed me. 

Prince Fitz, on the other hand, was cold. He never really talked to anyone and kept to himself most of the time.

I'd see him on the news practically every day, I guess he was somewhat attractive.

I've never found anyone attractive but I could see why everyone loved him. He had brilliant teal eyes and dark chocolate brown hair.

Mysterious, you could say.

"So?"

"Oh, I'll do it,"

Gisela grins. "Good girl."

"Now get out."

She gasps.

"That's no way to treat a guest, now is it?" She asks, shaking her head.

"Get. Out."

Smiling, she nibbles at the rest of the pastry and walks out.

I rub my temples. I'd have to make up a plan to get close to him so I can figure out a way to kill him fast.

It wouldn't be easy. All of my other victims were usually pretty old, around 40 - 50.

Keefe, well, Lord Keefe, was 16. Almost 17, I think.

He's most likely athletic and strong, unlike all the old men. Which means, he'll at least try to fight back before blood spills.

 I just need to get close to him, but how? That's the question.

How to get him to trust me, to like me? To believe every single lie I concoct.

This was going to be tough. I could make him think that I was one of his many fangirls, but that'd bruise my ego.

"Uh, Sophie?"

I flinch, snapping out of my thoughts. Dex stands in the doorframe holding a syringe.

"Elwin wanted to talk to you."

I nod and get up quickly. The blue fabric of my dress gets caught underneath the chair, causing a small tear at the edge.

Groaning, I mutter some not-so-appropriate words.

"Let's go,"

---

We get to Edaline's room and Dex says something about having to go take care of the triplets.

"You can go," I say. "I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I promise." I give a little laugh to sound more convincing and open the door as Dex leaves.

"Sophie!"

Elwin, the physician, ushers me in.

Edaline lays in the bed, pale and weak. You couldn't even tell it was her.

"It's been such a long time since I've seen you! Where have you been?"

"Oh, just busy," I reply, glancing at the marble tiles, shiny and clean.

Elwin keeps this room as neat as he can, cause, you know, keeping the germs away and all that.

"You know the condition she's in," he whispers.

I nod, well aware.

"She's not gonna live much longer." He looks guilty as he says this, almost as if it's his fault.

His hands shake as he takes out another bottle of medicine.

"That's why I need you to spend as much time as you can with her, don't go anywhere."

Great. Thanks a lot, dumb Gisela.

"Anyway, I better get going. Have a good day!"

I wave and watch as he packs up all of his things.

Don't go anywhere, huh? I think I might have an idea.