4

On such a sunny and windless day, people who had not yet gone to work or university took advantage of the warm hours to have breakfast outside their homes and find out the latest news. Checking that the coffee shop they had gone to was the right one, Ginoza Nobuchika continued walking followed by two enforcers until he recognized the woman who gave a meaning to their journey.

"Excuse me, are you Ishikawa Annaisha?"

The young woman turned around, her smile was warm and natural and did not hesitate to answer, "I am. Who's asking?"

The man with glasses displayed his holographic identification and Annaisha leaned forward to read it, as did the brown-haired man sitting in front of her who seemed to be her boyfriend. She had a strong yet pleasant perfume on her neck and her blond hair was tumbling over her shoulders.

"Inspector Ginoza Nobuchika, from the Criminal Investigation Department. We have some questions to ask you."

At first the girl raised her eyebrows exchanging a glance with the young man, who only shrugged his shoulders. They seemed to be studying, for there was a tablet on the wooden table.

"They are from the Public Safety Bureau," she remarked as if trying to make sure they were truly there.

"I understand. Well, I'll leave you alone while I go order two coffees," her boyfriend kissed her goodbye and entered the coffee shop.

Annaisha offered the men to sit in front of her, and only then did the inspector continue, "We are sorry to have to come to you, but we have checked with other teachers without getting anything revealing."

"It's all right. What is it you need to know?"

"Since you were a student at Ousou Academy, specifically the class that had Touma Kouzaburou as a social science teacher, we think you can help us with more information about him."

When Annaisha heard the name of her former teacher, she pursed her lips closing her eyes for a second. It still remained a taboo subject for them.

"Why are you still digging into him if his murders have stopped?" she asked with a trembling voice.

Masaoka took his hands out of his trench coat pockets, and rested one forearm on the wooden table. His features softened as he began to explain, even though the sturdiness of his body did not usually make a good first impression, "Touma Kouzaburou has been missing for a while. We believe he may have had accomplices—"

"It can't be! It's terrible that a man like him walks loose in the streets."

"That is why we need your help," Inspector Ginoza's smooth voice did not match the emotionless of his face. "Does anyone come to mind? A colleague? A friend, perhaps?"

Annaisha gently shook her head, her gaze fixed on the wooden surface as if it were hard for her to further reflect on the matter.

"He was very kind, a good teacher. Everyone knew him at the academy. But he never talked to us about his private life. Now that I think of it, he was very reserved."

"Someone must know something about him, or have seen anything off," Masaoka put a hand on his chin. "Considering that he was as outgoing as everyone says."

"Maybe ..." her voice trailed off. After a long pause, she looked up widening her eyes. "In fact, I believe there is only one student who may know something about him, because he was very talkative with her."

Ginoza suddenly raised his head a few centimeters, "Who is she?"

"Her name is... Yashiro."

Ginoza's green eyes sparkled, but it was Kougami who shot back first, "Yashiro? You mean Takahashi Yashiro?"