two | when we were young

fleeting, a fred weasley fanfic

two: when we were young

...

 Fred Weasley loved spending the summers at his family home, The Burrow. The sun always seemed to shine brighter than yesterday. The riverbanks sparkled like a million little diamonds that cut between two large pieces of land, the grass equally vibrant green on both sides. The warm breeze blew through his red hair, but not enough to seriously mess it up—only to softly tousle it. These were the kinds of days that made him and his siblings yearn for summer to last a little longer, for the days to pass slower than normal. They wanted more than what they were given, and who could blame them when what awaited them at Hogwarts was another year of their lives possibly being at stake. But there was one summer day in particular that he believes he'll never forget.

He remembered the scenes as if it had just occurred the day prior. The memory alone bringing him brief moments of solace, providing splashes of color to his slowly desaturating world.

It was August of 1993 and his family had invited Cass to stay over for the rest of the summer. They had just gotten back from their trip to Egypt, and though he loved the time he spent there, part of him always longed to go back home as soon as they could. When the reason of his restless excitement for The Burrow stood in front of him, his eyes came alive at the very sight of her.

He remembers what she had worn, black jean shorts, a plan gray shirt, and regular white trainers. Her long brown hair was up in a loose ponytail, large sections falling out, perfectly framing her face. Stormy gray eyes, like those of her father, grew wide as he came barrelling towards her. She let out a squeal of delight, a sound that he would have rather heard more than any form of music, as he scooped her into his arms and lifted her off the ground. He spins her around for a brief moment before eventually letting her feet meet the soft grass once again.

"I take it you missed me, Weasley." Cass laughed, hitting his chest lightly.

Normally, he would have quipped a rather sarcastic remark. He would have shook his head in protest, claiming that he only wanted to test if he had really gotten stronger over the months they had not seen each other. But for some reason, he felt the need to be sincere, vulnerable even. He wanted Cass to know that he thought of her everyday whilst he was away, "Of course I did."

It was clear that she had been taken aback by his candor, taking a few steps away from him, her expression clearly holding one of shock. An eyebrow raised, the corner of her lips twitching up into a smirk, "Really now?"

"Yeah." He mumbled, looking down at the soles of his shoes, wondering if it had been the wrong move to tell her that he did. Cass sensed his anxiety immediately.

"I missed you too, you bloody idiot." She said, gently bumping her hip into his before offering him a reassuring smile. Cass heard his mother call out to her, causing her to step around him and into Molly's waiting arms.