Chapter 8: Proposals - Part 2

Picture found: https://www.deviantart.com/izayoi-x-inunotaisho 

The healer kept Izayoi for several hours, repeatedly placing, rinsing, and replacing poultice after poultice.

At first she had asked the yokai man questions, but she soon realized he was not very friendly towards humans.

So, she stayed quiet, waiting for her healing session to end.

About an hour into it Toga stopped by to check on her and let her know that they would be staying for a few days.

Before he left, he kissed her temple and promised to be back later.

Izayoi flushed all the way to the roots of her hair. Why had he done that?

Two more hours passed, with the healer now giving her the stink eye.

Eventually he looked at the wound and nodded. "You are healed, human. Goodbye."

She was pushed out of the door, and before she could turn to thank him, the door was slammed--and from the sound of it locked.

"Thank you?" she whispered to the door.

Turning, she startled to see glowing eyes glaring at her from the shadows.

Sesshomaru was waiting, leaning against a pillar and watching her.

"Going to threaten to eat me again?" she challenged.

His face remained impassive. "You like yokai men. Maybe I should worry about you attacking me."

She looked away, "I do not like yokai men."

"You like my father."

She turned pale, "What--no!"

His eyes cut into her, "Don't lie. I can hear your heartbeat change when you lie, and I can smell your fear."

"But I--"

"Besides, I heard my parents talking."

"Oh."

Great, she was going to die.

Sesshomaru was suddenly in front of her. He spun her around and shoved her against the wall.

She winced, "Ouch."

Well, that was unexpected. She had assumed Lady Inukimi would be killing her not Toga's son.

"What does he see in you?" Sesshomaru demanded, his impassive face slipping into a frustrated scowl.

"I--what? What do you mean, what does he see in me? I'm the idiot that fell in love with him."

Sesshomaru blinked in surprise for a moment before murmuring, "You didn't know."

"I didn't know what?" she asked, now also frustrated. She tried to push past him, but he slammed her against the wall again. Was she imagining it or had he been more gentle that time?

"No, you have to know. You've done something to him with your weird human blood. You've weakened him."

"I don't understand what you're talking about, Lord Sesshomaru," she said meekly.

His eyes caught hers, "I'm talking about him seeking my mother's permission to wed you."

He said 'you' like it was a slur.

She found herself laughing at him.

His eyes flashed red for an instant, and his hand pinned her shoulder, "What's so funny, woman?"

"You must have heard wrong. Yes, I will admit that I'm in love with Toga, but I know that he and I can never be together. I told him I understood. I am not here to break up your family--as if I even could."