Prologue

𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍 𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎
𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐧

Humans inevitably face prospects that don't align with their understanding. To counter this, we learn, adapt, and apply the teachings gathered throughout the years to solve complexity, and to give a sense of clarity to our minds.

As a demon slayer— well, former demon slayer, your mind and body are finely tuned to comprehend and act rationally. Coming from a family who was praised for their eidetic memory, you couldn't easily forget. Every insignificant memory seared your nerves.

The name and height of the Kakushi who sacrificed themselves on one of your missions; The 48,328 yen you and Mitsuri spent on your shopping spree a year ago; The eight bowls of bento that made Rengoku shout 'umai' 142 times. You could go on.

Your "monstrous memory," as a certain quivery blond would put it, has been something you prided yourself on. It proved useful not only in combat but friendships.

So, color yourself surprised waking up knowing absolutely nothing about the prior events that led you to appear inside a hospital.

Making your way to the community garden, you stuck close to your attending nurse while passing through the hospital's emotional hallways. The atmosphere of the sterile and cleaning bleach wafted into the bevy nature of hospitals.

The place of birth and death.

Faces stricken with smiles, tears, or anticipation. The continuous rushing of medical officials and sick patients throughout the corridors. The joys and sorrows of the world coexist in one building.

It's the same everywhere.

Although you were barely admitted to public hospitals, they carried a heavier environment and emotions. Maybe the population size had to do with that.

Though, what struck you to believe you were contracting hallucinations was the passersby's odd physical features.

Instead of skin, the celebrating family had fur and fangs; the crying man had a fish's head; and fists larger than the little boy's head as he sat down in a lone chair, staring at them.

If you were in your work headspace and had your sword on standby, you'd decapitate and slice their heads off their necks. But instead of questioning your sanity, you kept walking. As if the thought wasn't intruding enough. 

Suddenly, a brisk gust of wind attacked your figure with light caresses through your neck and skin. The light song of nature compelled you to forget the weighing atmosphere only steps behind you.

"Enjoy your time. If you need anything, just inquire with the nurses near the counter." The nurse slightly bowed towards you, her tone light and quirky. You bowed in return before she turned back inside, leaving you alone.

*

Unlike most public medical facilities, the one you were admitted to took a village's land worth. It climbed high and was packed with surmountable amounts of concrete and white coats, with panned windows reflecting the iridescent sunlight.

Fujiya Hospital. The first conundrum you've encountered in years.

It sat in the city of Tokyo, which would've been simple enough if you knew which street it was. Barely any of the buildings were the same. Most, if not all, followed the same pattern of built-in concrete and glass windows, with different structures and colors lacquered in them.

Not only was the scenery different, but the air also burned your lungs; warm toxins and gas weighing oppressively in your head. With cityscapes this big, you didn't want to know about the pollution rate.