they don't remember the day they got here or the day they left. it's all been the same.
[name] had no knowledge of how much time had passed and what had happened outside of the library, nor did they care.
they were disoriented. confused. lost.
a never-ending labyrinth of shelves and shelves of books of different conditions; old, new, dusty, gloss matte, ancient, newly released, and even lost and destroyed works of art that would land a fortune in the underground.
[name] never thought about what language they knew, or what they could speak, or what they could write, understand, thought in— never. they just used it.
until the second they opened a foreign book, sitting innocently in a wooden corner shelf.
why did everything come so easily to them? this was.. italian? ragazzo meant boy in– what language? what did [name] speak? oh my, this is a problem. what language did they speak? maybe if they spoke it out loud?
"b-...booye."
oh heavens, no. never mind. no wonder their mouth felt so parched. it feels like they hadn't spoken ever since they were born. let's not try that again, [name]. it didn't work anyways. boy was just boy, they hadn't heard any other language besides whatever they were speaking right now.
[name] hesitantly read more. it was so easy! and the book was already getting interesting.
and before they knew it, [name] had finished the entire book, armed with the new knowledge of "italian".
they nearly forgot that they were trying to escape this strange place. [name] tried looking for an entrance or exit, or maybe a window (they learned that word in the book, it seems to be the clear material thing they've seen before- before where?).
nothing besides books- oh, wait. theres a clear space in the middle (middle of what? how far does this place go?)
what is that thing on the table? it's a basket? and some weird-looking black and yellow box thing?

"what is it you desire?"

a few hours had passed, and [name] discovered it was called a "walkman" (there were lots of labels on the side, so [name] just chose the word that sounded the most fitting)
and you put cassette tapes into it, and if they pressed the right button, something would happen, and a sound different than their voice would come out of it and say things, with more things in the back that pleased their ears.
[name] decided they liked this "walkman" thing very much, and continued to listen to the sounds on the first tape they put into the machine, which had a lot of light tanging sounds and a deep, masculine (signore, man, he remembers. much older than ragazzo, boy) voice in it.

[name] deducted they would be in this place for very long, so it would be best to understand it as much as possible.

-

swag oh yeah first chapter😩 i dont have a lot of ideas but i have the character in place, thinking about giving them a stand and trying to create one rn so anticipate some stand interactions woo hoo
-1-800 <333