Chapter One

10 minutes late? On the first day? You would think someone would be on time for something so important. The door swings open as a tall, curly-haired woman with deep brown colored skin and big brown eyes walks in. She wore baggy blue jeans with an oversized sweatshirt with our university's emblem printed in the corner. Her white air forces had been creased and worn down and covered in dirt.

"Nice of you to finally make an appearance, Miss...."

"California." she interrupts the professor before he has a chance to finish his sentence.

"Well Miss California, you can take a seat over there by Texas." I blink at the sound of my name, looking up to see this California girl walking towards the seat next to mine.

"U-umm hello, I'm Texas..." I stutter looking up at her. 'Gosh she's pretty' I think to myself as she pulls the chair out and sits down right next to me. I look down at my notebook as she pulls out her laptop. I glance over and see from the corner of my eye and see that it's covered in political stickers such as "Black Lives Matter", "Fucking recycle", and "ACAB". I roll my eyes and let out a quiet scoff. Of course, she would be liberal, with the way she barged in late and disrupted the professor like that. What more could I expect from a political science class?

"Hello Texas, I'm California if you didn't hear already." She says, looking up at me. The professor looks at us and turns to the board to continue his lecture.

"ACAB huh? Y'know, you really shouldn't disrespect the people that put their lives on the line for us."

"No man, they put their lives on the line for you. They could care less about us people like me." She says glaring at me.

"When have they ever hurt people like you? Slavery ended, y'all have rights now, everyone is equal." I say, glaring down at my notebook. I can practically hear her roll her eyes as she turns away to look at the professor.

"Whatever you say, white boy." I barely catch the end of what she says, as she mutters under her breath. I whip my head towards her and gape at the remark. She smirks at me and looks back at her computer to add a sticker that says "Bernie 2020" to her collection.

"White boy huh? That's very offensive and I would like you to apologize, please."

"I don't owe you any sort of apology. Now, please quit talking, I'm trying to take notes." She brushes me off, without care, ignoring me for the rest of the class. 

---

---

---

"Yo! Tejas!"

I look around, trying to spot the familiar voice. There he is, my roommate, Alabama. He walks up to me, smiling with his yellow crooked teeth, hair greasy and unwashed. I don't think I have seen him shower once since we have been here.

"Dude, Bama, I told you to stop calling me that." He scowls at the use of the nickname.

"Ugh fine, I'll stop, but only if you stop calling me 'Bama'" He laughs. He puts his arm around my shoulder as we start walking to our dorm building.

"Whatever, just go take a shower," I scrunch my nose at the scent of B.O. and cheap cologne, "you smell like shit."

"Whatever, I'll shower before we go to the party later." He says as he lifts his arm to smell himself.

"What party?" I ask, cocking my head.

"The one at the frat house a couple of streets down. They said they're throwing it because one of their buddies needs one more body to make it to one hundred and they thought a party would be the best way." Texas wants to say something about waiting until marriage, but Alabama interrupts him before he can.

"Don't say some stupid shit about 'abstinence'... whatever the hell that means." He mumbles the last part and I have to restrain myself from smacking him upside the head. "Anyway, I'm gonna head out. Remember to be at the party tonight at 9!" he shouts over his shoulder as he begins to jog away.

"I'll be there, and please remember to take a shower!"