Gridlock

So a whole lot of you are really excited for the Torchwood crossover. :) I've already got 35 comments out of (hopefully) 75 to answer the question as to when the Doctor is going to appear, so after I hit that number, I'll consider how long it'll take to get to the end of the book, and I'll list the number of comments so I can say when that crossover will be. :)

35/75 comments, so read and enjoy! Here's "Gridlock!"

***

The Apocalypse crossed her arms, chewing on the inside of her cheek as she considered what to do about Martha. It was nice to have someone traveling with her again . . . but it wasn't the same as with Rose or Jack. Granted, it had only been one trip, in the past. So . . . "Just one trip," she said out loud, making Martha look up at her. "That's what I said. One trip in the TARDIS, and then home." Martha looked visibly disappointed. "Although . . . " the Apocalypse dragged out, making Martha straighten. "I suppose we could stretch the definition. Take one trip into past, one trip into future. How do you fancy that?"

"No complaints from me!" Martha cheered.

"How about a different planet?" the Apocalypse suggested, moving to the console.

"Can we go to yours?" Martha asked eagerly.

The Apocalypse froze, her grip tightening on one of the levers. "No," she said shortly.

"Come on, though!" Martha begged. "I mean, planet of the Time Lords! That's got to be worth a look. What's it like?"

"Gorgeous," the Apocalypse answered honestly before putting coordinates in.

"Is it, like, you know . . . outer space cities, all spires and stuff?"

The Apocalypse closed her eyes. "I suppose it is."

"Great big temples and cathedrals!"

"We had those."

Martha obviously didn't catch the "had." "Lots of planets in the sky?"

"The sky's a burnt orange, with the Citadel enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under the twin suns," the Apocalypse finally told her. "Beyond that, the mountains go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow."

Martha's eyes lit up. "Can we go there?"

"I said no," the Apocalypse told her, shaking her head. "I don't want to go home. This is much better." She beamed. "Year five billion and fifty-three, planet New Earth." The TARDIS landed, and the Apocalypse grabbed her cardigan. "Second hope of mankind. Fifty thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically, it's the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York." Martha stared at her, and the Apocalypse shrugged. "One of the most dazzling cities ever built," she promised.

Martha stepped outside, and blinked, pulling her jacket tighter around her, rain pouring on her. "Oh, that's nice!" she complained as the Apocalypse closed the door behind her. "Time Lord version of 'dazzling!'"

"Nah, bit of rain never hurt anyone," the Apocalypse smiled. "Come on, let's get under cover!"

"Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me on a Wednesday afternoon," Martha observed, looking around the old city around them.

"Hold on, hold on," the Apocalypse shook her head, going over to a monitor. "Let's have a look."

She used her sonic screwdriver, and an overly cheerful blonde woman appeared. "And the driving should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway," she said.