Chapter Three // 300 Million meters per second // Deadly Life

Teruko Kamisaka, the Ultimate Toxicologist, had been murdered in a brutal fashion.

Her body was suspended by her feet, her arms and legs found together. If this were a regular chapel, the body would sway back and forth with a gentle breeze, but instead it stayed still, the only motion coming from the occasional drop of blood.

Even still, I didn't have time to mourn or freak out. Another body was yet to be seen by me.

Hiroyuki had his face buried in Ryuji's chest, and Ryuji's eyes were wide with terror.

"Huh?" He said, voice shaking. "Why did...it play twice?"

"Focus." I spat. "The first one called us to the chapel, and the second..."

"I think it was to the lounge." He said determinedly.

"Okay, you guys stay here, I'll go to the lounge and see what's going on." I announced, swiftly making my exit from the chapel and leaving Teruko's body hanged upside down.

I ran down to the lounge all the way on the second floor of the compound, taking the stairs two or three steps at a time. I turned the corner and was greeted by Inaya. Her face was grim and she looked as if she had been crying. "In there..." She said. "There was nothing we could do..."

I fiercely swung the door open and saw...

Mayumi Shinjo, the Ultimate Prophet, was also dead, slumped over in a chair, absolutely drenched in blood.

Mayumi and Teruko

Mayumi and Teruko...both were flawed, but very kind when it came down to it. And now...both were gone forever.

"There's nothing we could do." Kotomi, who had also found the body explained morosely. "But what's this about the chapel?"

"Teruko..." I said, and she bowed her head in disappointment.

"FINALLY!" Yukie cheered, raising her fists triumphantly. She was the third person who also discovered the body, some of Mayumi's blood was smeared on her leather blazer. Kotomi scowled at her.

"Don't be disrespectful. Mayumi's body is right there."

"That is true..." Her face turned to anger. "Someone...did this to an innocent. I can't excuse that. But whoever killed Teruko is fine by me!"

"They aren't fine by the rules." Inaya said. "Actually...what do the rules say about a situation like this?"

"We'll cover that when everyone is together." I said, silencing them all. "Okay, since Teruko's announcement played first, we should all go to the chapel."