1.

Genesis
|Houston, Tx       7:06AM|

I was up before the rest. I ain't wanna deal with nobody, I ain't wanna see nobody, I just needed to process this shit cause everything happened too fast. Like damn.. I ain't even get to say nothing.

The downstairs was freezing just like the front lobby. Only a crazy bitch would want the AC kicking full blast in mid winter.

I was facing the window and the way the sky was outside I could tell it was a little over 7. My stomach been growling like crazy I felt like apart of the system for real.

As quiet as it was down here I still felt out of place. Shit felt odd but I knew it was because I wasn't use to this shit at all. I hope I never do to be honest.  The AC kicked off and I couldn't hear the humming anymore.

"Aye brah, why you sitting by yo self. Looking depressed and shit." A dude that looked around my age was coming down the stairs before he took a pack of skittles out of his jacket tearing it open.

I ain't speak. It was no reason to say anything, ion know who this nigga is. I looked at him briefly before I focused my attention back to the window.

"Ain't much of a chatter? No good morning, no wassam? Shiid I don't blame you." He chuckled before throwing his head back taking in a handful of skittles.

He pulled a chair back and sat down in it before pulling his cap off and setting it down on the table. The italicized flower with an arrow struck heart is what made the cap unique. We he noticed me looking he moved the cap into another direction before asking again.

"Why you down here alone? Ain't nobody even up." I wasn't tryna hear this bullshit ass question again so I just answered.

"I should ask you the same thing. If I never came down here you would've been sitting here alone." I sat back in the seat the cold metal making me shiver against it.

"Shiid you caught a nigga." He had a small smirk on his face but it turned grim quick. "Nah but for real I come down here to think, you don't get too much time to your self once everybody up."

I nodded my head because I already figured that out; which is why I'm down here myself. It was quiet for a few seconds after that besides the rustling of his skittles bag. A few fell out onto the table.

"So what's yo name?" The interest in his voice was dull but it was there.

"Mane you asking like we in jail asum, it's Genesis though."

He paused for a moment then took a deep breath, "We might as well be in a jail, ain't no freedom here." He sat up straight in his chair.

I couldn't tell if he was being serious but his expression never broke, he finished up the bag of skittles before pulling another one from out of his jacket.

"My name Chris. Pretty short and pretty basic, my OG wasn't with allat extra shit."

He ain't even hesitate to ask he just went right into the question, "How long you staying here."

That question hit like a blow because I didn't even know myself. I didn't think people got out of here. The lady nor the officer gave me an amount of time. Just gave me a room.