Chapter Twenty Two

"You wanted to see me?"

Hotch glances up from his work, setting his pen down and focusing his attention on you. He gestures of the seat across from his desk, waiting for you to be seated before he begins. "There's more to it, isn't there?"

Your heart speeds up rapidly as you realise he's on to you. When he first approached you about the Angelo files and the sudden obsession, you lied to him and explained that you wanted him caught; for attempting to frame your brother and killing you. It wasn't a complete lie, but the real reason is to get justice for your mother, in whatever shape that comes in.

You couldn't tell him the exact reason, you know he'd shut it down. When Hotch was so determined to catch Foyet, to protect his family, he lost a part of himself. He became so desperate, searching everywhere for him, to only have Foyet come to him. And when he did, hell broke loose. Strauss was relentless, drilling the team and trying to make out Hotch was unfit for leadership.

You know he wouldn't want you to suffer the same consequences.

"More to what?" You feign innocence, hoping he doesn't see through your stronghold.

Hotch blinks at you, a frustrated sigh escaping his lips. He knows your hiding the real reason, and he also knows he won't get it out of you. You're too stubborn for your own good. "Whatever it is, don't forget who your friends are. They can help you."

You nod, shifting in your seat. Your wasting valuable time that can be focused on catching Angelo, instead of being profiled. Hotch rubs his thumb over his fingers in annoyance, knowing that whatever he says to you, won't stick. You don't like asking for help, and you sure as shit hate people giving it without asking. Much like now.

"Anything else?" You ask, slowly standing.

A smile creeps across his face. "I'm glad he finally told you." You frown in confusion before it clicks. You grin, nodding your head. "I can see how happy you make each other, and the only thing I ask is to keep it professional in the field. I know you both will. And I can see that you've let him in, let him at least know whats going on. If your to have anyone back you, you want Dave, your battle becomes his but he also won't let it consume you."

"No, he won't." You agree.

Hotch motions to the door, indicating that you're free to go. Before you reach the door handle, "I want you to take the rest of the week off, get your head straight and I'll see you Monday morning." His tone leaves no room for discussion, leaving you to nod and exit his office. At least it allows you to work without interruptions.

Closing the door behind you, you're met with Rossi, who casually leans his hands on the railing. "Are you eavesdropping?" You muse, resting your elbow on the rail and turning your body to face him.

"No, never." He smiles, twisting his head to look at you. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah, been sent home till Monday. So, I'm going to go and have a shower and sleep."

Rossi nods approvingly, his eyes following an agent that brushes past. Once they are out of earshot, "When I get home, I'm taking you out. So dress sexy."

You raise your eyebrows at him, shaking your head slightly. He chuckles, a smug expression on his face before he turns and hides away in his office. Rolling your eyes, you stride to your desk to gather all the files you need before heading for the elevator. It's still too early for the team to be in, and Derek is most likely in Penelope's office.

Once you get home, you shower and sleep, your body overcome with exhaustion, much to your liking. Hours later your alarm wakes you, and you slip back into the shower to wash the sleep away before dressing in lingerie and laying your dress out on the bed. Moving into the bathroom to do your hair, you pause, staring at yourself, your thoughts unusually quiet. You eyes catch sight of your knuckles, purple and yellow as the bruise continues to form, the blood non-existent. You contemplate covering them, but think against it, not wanting to risk infection with the open wounds.