Prologue

1838, Avesbury Manor

Today went horribly.

My Lady was furious with me—as if what had transpired between the young lord and I was my fault.

Uncle tried to calm her, truly he did. It seemed that nothing he said would calm her.

"You were supposed to woo him!" She shouted, turning towards me. I stood in the middle of the room, so she could not corner me. She was deadly once she had you cornered. "You were supposed to make him want you!"

"He's a boy," I mumbled, raising my chin high. My Lady stormed up to me, grabbing me by the collar of my dress.

"You were never to speak to me, understand?" She shouted. "You are nothing to me, little girl."

"Dorothea, that is enough!" Uncle snarled, placing his hand on her shoulder. "You will never talk to my daughter like that, again."

My Lady laughed, rolling her eyes as she released me. She grabbed her shawl, wrapping it around her shoulders. She stalked to the door, looking back at us briefly.

"She is not your daughter. She is your poor niece, and she shall be so until the day she dies." My lady spat, leaving her room quickly. Uncle drew me into his arms, and I rested my head against his shoulder. She despised me for one simple reason—I wasn't of her own blood. I wasn't of her own blood, and I was her husband's heir.

"I'm sorry, Addy." He whispered. "I only want the best for you, my dear. I know the Goddard Family is good, and Gabriel will be a good man. It's incredibly awkward to be in an arranged marriage. He will like you in time."

I want him to love me, I thought. I wanted a marriage—a partnership. I wanted him to worship me, and I wanted to return the sentiment. I sighed, playing with Uncle's pocket watch. I always wondered if Uncle loved My Lady. They seemed content with each other, when I was younger. What little I knew of my birth parents—from what Uncle told me, they loved each other until the moon and back. They were soulmates.

"Uncle, can we go somewhere until he becomes of age?" I mumbled. "I cannot face anymore of my Lady's ridicule."

Uncle pressed a kiss to my head, keeping me in his arms just a few moments longer. I knew he was contemplating my request. I never asked for much. I always did what he and my Lady asked of me. I went to finishing school because my Lady felt I needed more schooling than the tutors Uncle had hired. I learned how to smoke, hunt, and keep conversation with any man that I would ever come in contact with. I was preparing myself to be a woman masquerading in a man's world.

"I will think on it—but on one condition." Uncle commanded, pulling back slightly. "You must become a friend with him. If we're going to go abroad while he begins his education, you must keep communication with the boy. I do not want you to be a stranger with him when it becomes time to marry him." I nodded, wrapping my arms around my waist.

"I will, Uncle Jasper." I whispered, bowing slightly. "I shall think of an itinerary until we leave Avesbury."

Uncle sighed, stepping closer to me. He pressed a kiss to my head once more before striding towards the bedroom door. He didn't have to say anything—I knew what he was going to do. He was going to talk my Lady off of her proverbial ledge. Her obsession would kill her one day, that I knew of. I didn't have to worry. I had an heir, whether I married or not. I undid my dress, then my corset and stays until I was in my chemise. I wasn't ready to go to bed, not after that horrid confrontation. I searched for my robe, securing it to my body. I needed to walk, clear my head in the night air. I knew, from the brief tour Lady Imogen and Lady Abigail had given me, that there was a private garden not far off of the private sitting room. I could be safe while I sat out there, safe in my own thoughts.