Chapter 3

Gabriel Goddard

I turned towards the door, trying to catch my breath. Maddy had such a way with words. If only—she'd be a bloody good writer if she had the patience for it. Addy stood in the doorway, her arm linked with her maid's. Some emotion—I had yet to guess—flashed across her features before she smiled brightly. It had yet to reach her eyes. She slowly detangled herself from...Sabrina? before making her way across the room. Her maid stood near the door, pinning me to my spot. I'd have to quickly get on her good side this summer.

"My word," Madeline whispered to me. "How have you not proposed yet? She's bloody gorgeous." I grunted in response as I extended my hand to Addy. Maddy wasn't thinking rationally, that was certain. She was not wrong—Addy was possibly the most beautiful woman I'd laid my eyes upon.

"Gabriel, won't you introduce me to your friend?" She asked softly as she took my hand. I pulled her closer, so that there was barely a respectable amount between us. Despite the heat, I enjoyed having her close to me. She made me...she made me calmer.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. I turned slightly towards Maddy with a grin. She curtsied quickly, her eyes locked with Addy's.

"Addy, Miss Madeline Brown. Madeline, Lady Adaline Brown, of Huntingdon."

Addy bowed her head slightly, her lips still plastered in a smile. She seemed taught, like she mustn't relax a muscle. I shifted my gaze between the two of them. Maddy was working herself into a tizzy. I'm sure that she was convincing herself that she was going to fancy Adaline. I didn't blame her. Addy was a spectacular woman. Addy however, kept herself resigned from Mads. I could only assume it was because I brought her unannounced. It was bold of me, yes—but I couldn't just leave my best friend all alone.

"My apologies—I didn't mean to intrude on your summer—"

"You're not intruding, Miss Brown," Addy interrupted softly. She let go of my hand and grabbed both of Madeline's. She swallowed tightly as she looked at Mads. "I'm very glad that Gabriel has had you these past few years. Lord knows how he would have turned out if he had been stuck with those wretched boys for all eight years. He could be a heathen!" She teased.

Maddy grinned, squeezing her hands back. I looked between them once more. They had the same smile. Brown was such a common surname—but were they distant cousins of some sort? I'd have to ask Professor about that.

"He nearly was one when he landed on my father's doorstep. It took all four years to train him properly for you." She teased back. I rolled my eyes, coughing slightly. Both girls looked at me, their eyebrows raised slightly.

"Enough about me, ladies." I groaned. "I've called for a pot of tea, so shall we take a seat?" I watched as Addy pulled her hands from Madeline's, her body tensing once more.

"I am going to retire back to Mrs. Goddard's room. I do not wish to impose upon you both." She turned back to Mads, curtsying once more.

"It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I look forward to spending more time with you, Madeline. Pardon me," She uttered with eloquence. She turned swiftly, making her way to her maid. Just as she exited the door, Mads punched me so hard I saw stars.

"Ow!" I exclaimed, rubbing my arm. I glared at her, wishing her to turn in a puddle for just a moment. "What the devil—"

"Go after the woman!" She hissed. "Why are you still here with me, you bumbling idiot. You've clearly upset Addy!"

I stared at her in disbelief. How did she know this? Addy had not uttered a word of her displeasure. Did she say something to Maddy when I wasn't paying attention? Am I just dense?