Welcome to Hell-ton

scavenged my bags, making sure I had everything I needed. I would be attending Welton Academy, making me the first female to ever attend. There was a knock on the door.

"Nat? You ready?" Knox opened the door.

"It's Natalie, and yes," I said, grabbing her things. Knox took one bag from me since I had more.

We loaded our things in the trunk of the car.

"Are you excited to attend 'Hell-ton'?" Knox asked me.

"Yes and no," I responded, getting into the car.

"Why's that?" Knox asked, sliding into the seat next to me.

"There's going to be a lot more expected from me than when I was going to public school. Also, it's filled with all boys." I explained.

"I'll be there. Plus, you've met most of my friends." Knox explained, attempting to comfort me.

"I guess," I mumbled.

-time skip-

I sat in a row of seats with my parents. Knox was holding a banner or something. Suddenly, I heard a bagpipe playing. I turned to see what was happening. I could see boys, some I had seen before, holding up banners. They walked down the aisle until they reached the front. Then, they went to sit down.

Some of the younger boys were lighting a candle. I just kind of zoned out until Mr. Nolan started speaking. 

"One hundred years ago, in 1859, forty-one boys sat in this room and were asked the same question that now greets you at the start of each semester: Gentlemen, what are the four pillars?" Nolan asked.

All students stood up, except me of course.

"Tradition! Honor! Discipline! Excellence!" They all said in unison.

"In her first year, Welton Academy graduated five students. Last year we graduated fifty-one and over seventy-five percent of those went to the Ivy League!" Nolan exclaimed.

The crowd went into a fit of clapping. There was a boy who sat next to me. I knew him pretty well as Charlie Dalton, one of my brother's close friends.

"Natalie, how ya doin'?" He whispered since Mr. Nolan was still talking.

"Alright. Do you have some love for me?" I smiled at him.

"Of course." He smiled, engulfing me in a hug.

More roars of applause snapped us out of our conversation. 

"The key to your success rests on our four pillars. These are the bywords of this school and they will become the cornerstones of your lives. Welton Society Candidate Richard Cameron..." Mr. Nolan asked.

A small, redhead boy stood up. He looked to be about my age.

"Yes sir!" He exclaimed 

"What is Tradition?" Mr. Nolan asked.

"Tradition, Mr. Nolan, is love of school, country, and family. Our tradition at Welton is to be the best!" Cameron looked proud.

Charlie and I went back to our conversation.

"Is it true that they call this place 'Hell-ton?" I asked.

"Oh yeah. This place is hell." Charlie nodded.

"I can see it. Most people look miserable. Especially that kid over there." I pointed to a kid with no enthusiasm whatsoever. (TODD!) 

"I've never seen him before. He must be new like you." Charlie patted me on the back.